James Daughtrey Youth Mgmt Hunt 11/18-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My youngest son was drawn for the youth management hunt at the James Daughtrey WMA the weekend of November 18-19.

Anyone else going to be there?

See you there.

Comment

Yep, we will be there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Will be down there in February, let me know how the hunts go. Good luck’

Comment

Results are in for this past weekend's hunt.

From James E. Daughtrey Wildlife Management Area - TPWD Facebook page:

"17 youth hunters have harvested 4 doe, 2 spikes, and 3 hogs on the YDA hunt on both the Daughtrey and North Shore State Park unit hunts. Eleven hunt positions went unfilled. The next youth hunt for this Sat-Sun, Nov 18-19 for management deer."

Comment

Their definition of a management buck - "must have 8 or less antler points with an inside main beam spread of at least 12 inches, or must have at least one unbranched antler"

From their FB page, here is a management buck from 2011.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Daughtrey Mgmt Buck.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	24518966

I think my son will be happy with one like him!

Comment

Originally posted by uncle jesse View Post
              Their definition of a management buck - "must have 8 or less antler points with an inside main beam spread of at least 12 inches, or must have at least one unbranched antler"

From their FB page, here is a management buck from 2011.

[ATTACH]883030[/ATTACH]

I think my son will be happy with one like him!

I am not showing my daughter that pic. If we get a chance like that great, but I want her to be happy with her first buck/deer!

Comment

I'll be in the dirty 3/4 ton chevy.

Don't forget to bring your permits.

Safe travels to all of you!

Comment

We won't roll in until the morning since my daughter will be cheering at a playoff game tonight.

Dark grey F150 with TBH and BHA stickers.

See you there!

Comment

good luck guys!

Comment

I'll roll in around midnight tonight. I'll be in a red Taco with various stickers along the bottom of the back glass. See you guys there.

Comment

All, please let me know what compartment you were in and what you saw. Thanks!

Comment

Compartment 10 - My partner (Army of Dad) and I chaperoned our daughters as they hunted there. I saw a single buck (115-120 class 8 point) that didn't give us a shot, and three does (now two) that did. My partner and his daughter saw two undersized bucks and a monster 8 point. She took a shot at the 8 point. We found a small amount of muscle tissue and hair at the site of the shot, but never found blood and could not pick up a trail to follow.

Comment

If you're in a lakeside compartment I'd give strong consideration to hunting closer to the water.
                            It seemed most of the deer were in senderos nearer to the lakeside.

We moved out of the provided blind and set up a pop up to get closer and that worked well enough for a shot.

Last edited by Army of Dad; 11-20-2017, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slow&Steady View Post
                              Compartment 10 - My partner (Army of Dad) and I chaperoned our daughters as they hunted there. I saw a single buck (115-120 class 8 point) that didn't give us a shot, and three does (now two) that did. My partner and his daughter saw two undersized bucks and a monster 8 point. She took a shot at the 8 point. We found a small amount of muscle tissue and hair at the site of the shot, but never found blood and could not pick up a trail to follow.

If you haven't bragged on your daughter I will. Her doe was harvested quite cleanly went nowhere. Way easier tracking job that way!

Comment

Working...
                              X