Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about a new bow this year, suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about a new bow this year, suggestions?

I've only owned 3 bows in my adult life, a Martin Orion I bought new at Academy, killed my first deer with it, then replaced it with a used Diamond Black Ice. Gave the Martin to my nephew.

I shot the Diamond for several yeard and loved it. I think I wore out 2 or 3 sets of strings on it and killed a lot of critters with it. It was so smooth, not super fast, but fast enough, and super forgiving.

Then I got stupid and decided I wanted a faster bow and did some horse trading for a used Strother SX-1. It's screamin' fast, but I just can't shoot it like I could the Black Ice. It's heavy, pretty noisy compared to the Black Ice, not as forgiving, and honestly, it's just a chore to shoot. Don't creep off that back wall, even 1/16" while settling into you anchor point......it'll rip your shoulder out of socket.

I got even stupider when I passed the Black Ice on to my boss's son. Now he's shooting that bow, without changing anything, to 70 yards, just as I was before I got stupid.

So, I'm considering buying my second new bow ever. What bows are on the market now that are comparable in feel to the old Black Ice? I'm talking about smooth, quiet, no hand shock, light, easy to shoot, deep and wide valley, solid back wall, etc. Fast is nice, but it's low on the priority list compared to ease of shooting. I'm not made of money by any means, but I can flex a bit on price point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

what is your draw length ?

Comment

Sounds to me like you would love rhe solo cam. But shoot as many as you can

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm a 28" Blake. I was just looking at Bow Tech's site and the Carbon Icon looks really nice. Anybody have any experience with it?

Comment

I've shot both the new Obsession Defcon 6 and the Mathews Halon 6... both of them are sweet bows. Very quiet, light, felt nothing in my hand and a solid back wall. I'm having to talk myself out of buying either one of them every day.

Comment

How is the draw cycle? I think that's my biggest complaint with the Strother, it's like full weight from start to finish, then you fall into the valley about 1/16" from the back wall. I have to really concentrate, and strain physically, to make certain I keep it on the back wall, otherwise it tries to send my arm downrange with the arrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonehead1283 View Post
              I've shot both the new Obsession Defcon 6 and the Mathews Halon 6... both of them are sweet bows. Very quiet, light, felt nothing in my hand and a solid back wall. I'm having to talk myself out of buying either one of them every day.
              x2

both of these are the best on the market this year imo. personally, i like the draw of the halon better so i'll be grabbing a halon 5 this month i think. i noticed the halon was easier to pull back than the defcon 6...but the defcon is supposed to be slightly faster. if you have shops in your area, both of these are must trys.

if their price is too high, i'd go with the hoyt powermax or maybe the mathews z3 (really hard to track down a place that has them in stock). i shot the carbon icon a few weeks ago and for the price, the powermax was much better for me.
              Last edited by Chimera; 06-03-2016, 12:28 AM.

Comment

I've really like to stay under $1k if at all possible. I can transfer accessories from the Strother if need be, as none of the package bows have good rests or sights anyway in my experience. I certainly plan to shoot as many options as I can, but figured I'd get some suggestions for a starting point or two.

Comment

Get serious get.........

Comment

There are some pretty decent bows in the classified section. These guys will treat you right.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Comment

I just bought my first obsession. Defcon m6 and I really like this bow.

Shoot a lot of bows before you buy

Comment

I can make you a deal on a new High Country bow.
                        The X12 is 3.8lbs, and everything you want-smooth, vibe free, solid wall, fast
                        The Axis is 3.9lbs, easy draw cycle, also vibe free, and a dang good shooter

Comment

I like my creed for those exact reasons, easier to pull and hold and comfortable to shoot. But I do wish I shopped around more and shot more bows, i would shoot elite and obsession and Hoyt if I could go back in time

Comment

Find you an old Mathews Switchback or DXT. They ain't the fastest but they are the smoothest and most forgiving. Nobody ever made a bow with a better smoother draw cycle. A 70lb Switchback will feel like a 60lb compared to the other MFGs. 70lb bows.

Comment

Originally posted by laredoarcher View Post
                              Get serious get.........
                              Catch Us If You Can!

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                              Find you an old Mathews Switchback or DXT. They ain't the fastest but they are the smoothest and most forgiving. Nobody ever made a bow with a better smoother draw cycle. A 70lb Switchback will feel like a 60lb compared to the other MFGs. 70lb bows.
                              That's some good advice right there muzzlebrake!

Comment

Working...
                              X