TP&W hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TP&W hunts

I was selected for the hog hunt at Choke canyon in Feb. Anyone here ever hunt there? My exotic hunt, turkey hunt and other hog hunts are still pending.

All mine say 2nd draw pending. How long does it normally take to find out the second draw?

Comment

Been years since I hunted there but the area I was in the brush was so thick you had to hunt the road you drove in on.
      Hogs need water, so try to hunt the shorelines and look for fresh hog sign, watch wind direction and you should do well.

Comment

Hogs are everywhere there. Find some sign and trails and put out corn. They'll come.

Comment

Originally posted by Dustinb09 View Post
          All mine say 2nd draw pending. How long does it normally take to find out the second draw?
          Those that were selected have 10 days to buy the permit. The 2nd draw will be the following day if there are any up for grabs.

Comment

I have the archery deer hunt at Choke Canyon North Shore in January. I'll be sure to post a report and what I see for everyone.

Comment

I have heard that is extremely brushy. Good luck.

Comment

My bad, it's the James Daughtery unit not the Choke Canyon if that makes a difference. Thanks gents

Comment

Originally posted by joel45acp View Post
                  My bad, it's the James Daughtery unit not the Choke Canyon if that makes a difference. Thanks gents

Makes a lot of difference. They have made lots of habitat improvements to JD. We were there last year on youth buck hunt. Units 9 & 10 anywhere you put out corn was covered in hogs but it's longer drive from check station. I'm pretty sure hogs were seen in every unit but not lot shot cause everyone was waiting on a buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I hunted the JD for a buck hunt 2 years ago and I was covered up on hogs, javi's and coyotes. Passed on two good deer the first 15 minutes I was there. Didn't shoot a deer/hog but that was because I was being picky. If I can find a map of the compartments I can tell you where I was. Target rich environment. I stayed a lodge on Choke Canyon and drove there to the JD.

Comment

It does make a difference. I've hunted both and JD would be my preferred location for hogs. Lots of them, especially closer to the lake. I would focus in open areas which used to be lake bottom but are now dry. Easier rooting for them down there. Spread lots of corn and they will find it. Just hope that they move during the day. We saw most hog activity at JD in the last hour of shooting time.

Hunted Unit 12 & 13 and saw pigs on most trips out.
                      Last edited by WinslowBoy; 10-20-2017, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info gents. I'll make sure I keep you all up to date on my hunt.

Comment

Working...
                        X