Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spring Food Plot....Getting it ready to plant.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elgato View Post
    I use an interesting rule of thumb for seeding rates when planting mixtures that I learned from the 'No till Farmer ' report on cover crops. Take the total number of species in a mix, add 1, then divide each monoculture rate recommended by that number.

For example if there are 5 crops in a mix, add 1 and the total is 6. If hairy vetch is in the mix and its recommended that it be planted at 40 pounds per acre divide by 6 to get a rate of about 6.7 pounds of hairy vetch per acre as part of the mix.

There is another cool rule where you take the total number of species and just make sure that the total planting rate equals 100% of the planting rate for any single specie. This allows you to mix and match giving any particular cultivar preference if desired.
    I pretty much use the second rule. I will also look at seed companies wildlife mix, and use a close % of what I want to plant and use the planting rate of the main seed in the mix (I.e. I/C pea broadcast rate)

Comment

Would you guys ever do throw and mow on a virgin field or is that only acceptable after you have worked the soil over in the first year?

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
        I will be getting 1.5X the recommended amount.
        I usually use that amount as well and always round up to the nearest 50lb so I don't have to think about half bags, etc.

Comment

Well, I got my 6 acres planted this morning. I will post some pics tomorrow.

Comment

Anyone tried PowerPlant from WI or a custom mix of like seeds (climbing soys and peas, sunflower, sunn hemp, etc) and had success? Tempted to try it and add more I/C peas to finish out the 1.5acre plot.

Comment

Yes I tried the power plant a few years back. Wished I would had save the pics of it and the deer that was eating it. Great stuff Iam in southeast Texas grew well

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy moss View Post
                Yes I tried the power plant a few years back. Wished I would had save the pics of it and the deer that was eating it. Great stuff Iam in southeast Texas grew well
                Thanks, good to know. When was your planting date?

I'm considering giving it a try to see how it holds up and if hogs mess with it. If it doesn't grow well or hogs destroy it at least I'll know moving forward...Plot pH from recent years of Fall mixes is really good around neutral so thinking it'll be a great spot to try it and should be 1.5acres so I think that'll be enough. Not a crazy high deer numbers but average...

Comment

Now until middle of May will be good. I would recommend getting the newsletter from the whitetail institute great stuff in there .

Comment

It’s not time to plant around here as we’re expecting some mild freezes this week, but we’ve got some dirt turned over. Planning on doing beans and corn this year and making one of my plots a little bigger than usual for the corn experiment.

I’ll have a mix of wheat/turnips/clover in the fall, along with the 10 acres of corn that I’ll leave standing. Could be a flop, who knows!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy moss View Post
                      Now until middle of May will be good. I would recommend getting the newsletter from the whitetail institute great stuff in there .
                      Yep I get the WI newsletters. Always good reads even though I haven't tried any of their stuff in many years. This will be first try at a spring plot so thought I'd try half PowerPlant and half I/C Peas. Would love to No-Till it. Have 6" green growth now of last year's mix popping back up of rye and clover. Soil looks dark, rich and moist. Will give another couple weeks and make sure temps are above 65 consistently. Sent in WI soil test just to double check it but I think it's gonna come back pretty good

Comment

[ATTACH]903431[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]903433[/ATTACH]

3 Weeks ago I sprayed Generic Roundup on my 6 acres. As y'all can see it was ate to the dirt with only turnips left.
                        Last edited by Radar; 06-05-2019, 04:56 PM.

Comment

[ATTACH]903435[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]903436[/ATTACH]

Last week I fertilized, disc and planted.

Comment

[ATTACH]903441[/ATTACH]

After seeding, I use a drag and roller to cover seed and roll the bed.

Comment

A view from my blind of a finished 3 acre field, seeded with IC peas at 70 pounds per acre.

Comment

[ATTACH]903443[/ATTACH]

Another finished 1 acre plot. Seeded with IC peas, RR peas, Lab Lab and Sunflower blend.

Comment

Working...
                                X