No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa 2015/16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the hunting at Santa Ana good? I did Laguna last year, but it was the archery hunt in January and it was bad weather.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I assume the application for Santa Anna is available online?

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
        My buddy and i have been thinking of applying to hunt out there.
        Do we need to go down there on the 3rd to submit an application or can we mail it in?
        Not worth it. There aren't any animals out here.

Comment

I'm hoping to be in again. Hard work, but always good people and fun.

Comment

I spoke a game warden (after he checked my license) and he said that not many deer were moving because of all the rain we had last year. They had lots of browse, so they didn't have to move very far to eat. I had a nilgai cow come out down wind of me at about 40 yds, but didn't get a shot because she stayed behind some shrubs and ran off when she picked up my scent. The following day, an 8 pointer came out at about 50 yds, and yet again, he stayed behind some shrubs and a mesquite tree he was rubbing on. I tried to flank him, but he went directly away from me and I lost him. I was drawn for the first archery hunt on Teniente Unit. Can't wait to go to same spot--if I'm selected this year.
            Last edited by elchamp; 07-20-2015, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Hey, Flywise! You can mail all applications to Santa Ana office. Just make sure envelope is postmarked with august date. All hunts at LRGNWR through Santa Ana are selected by lottery. Drawing is in early September. You'll be notified by mail (if selected) and must make payment by 1st week of October, I believe. Payment can also be mailed in and they will mail permit to you.

Comment

Originally posted by elchamp View Post
                Hey, Flywise! You can mail all applications to Santa Ana office. Just make sure envelope is postmarked with august date. All hunts at LRGNWR through Santa Ana are selected by lottery. Drawing is in early September. You'll be notified by mail (if selected) and must make payment by 1st week of October, I believe. Payment can also be mailed in and they will mail permit to you.
                Thank you for the advice
                Never put in for these types of hunts so any advice is much appreciated

Comment

I'm guessing a good portable tripod is the best way to hunt the area?

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                    My buddy and i have been thinking of applying to hunt out there.
                    Do we need to go down there on the 3rd to submit an application or can we mail it in?
                    Flywise, one of you best be there by 0600 hours, two of the hunts will sell out the first day at Laguna.

Santa Anta/Lower Rio Grande hunt is draw only.
                    Last edited by Thumper; 07-21-2015, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
                      Flywise, one of you best be there by 0600 hours, two of the hunts will sell out the first day at Laguna.

Santa Anta/Lower Rio Grande hunt is draw only.
                      I believe your right and we do have plans to head down there.
                      Being our first year we ought to just put in for the gun lotto

Comment

I wish the LRGVWR would update their hunts and dates..

Comment

LGVWR said they would have applications and hunting info updated on last week of July. Hope its on Monday the 27th.

Comment

Are these dates not accurate?

Archery Hunts

Archery Hunt Dates:

Hunt #1 is November 20 - 24, 2015 (May set up stands November 19)

Hunt #2 is November 28 - December 2, 2015 (May set up stands November 27)

Hunt #3 is December 10 - 14, 2015 (May set up stands December 9)

Permits: Issued on a first-come, first-served basis in person or by mail. Issued Monday – Friday, 7:30 – 4, August 1-31 or until sold out. A total of 800 permits

Firearm Hunts

Firearm Hunt Dates:

Hunt #1 is December 18 - 20, 2015

Hunt #2 is December 26 - 28, 2015

Hunt #3 is January 2 - 4, 2016

Hunt #4 is January 8 - 10, 2016

Hunt #5 is January 15 - 17, 2016

Comment

Yes those are the correct dates.

Comment

LRGVNWR applications are now available to download and print.

Comment

Working...
                                X