No announcement yet.

Shnf 15-16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everybody ready for the sept meet and greet? This year will be better. Seeing how I am off on Saturdays now we can do a camp thing. Fire pit, food and shooting. It's coming folks. It' will be here before we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by clintmurphy1988 View Post
      "This never leaves the cave."

Lol. Lee ,Damian, and Kieth. Seems like yesterday we walked up on their camp site.

Comment

Originally posted by dmack View Post
        Hi I'm new to the form and would like some help. Can anyone please take me to your spot so I have a place to hunt and I shoot big deer. Most of the year I will be camping in the primitive camping ground. If you want to sit by the campfire and have a cold beer come on by. If you want a romantic evening go to the other side of the campground and knock on bowonlys tent.
        We need a separate thread for all this: 2015 - 16 SHNF Hanky-panky edition

Comment

Comment

Other than obvious signs like trails, transitions, cuts barriers, food source droppings etc... what are some things that catch your eyes? Got a late start last year took the wife out found tracks that looked fresh so had her set up. She said it was a decent sized buck but she couldn't get him to come into range. What could I have seen that I could have gotten her closer to him?
            Hello my hunting brothers, good to see the new thread as this means the season is just around the corner! Well I took the wheels off this year so we will see how that goes, shooting a recurve this year, I just thought I would lower my odds even more!

clintmurphy,
            Hunting public for deer is an Odds game, you do the best you can to increase your odds of getting within killing range of a mostly nocturnal, highly pressured, public land deer. Other than the obvious like you said, I would add don't limit yourself to treestand hunting, sometimes that can DECREASE your odds, don't be afraid to get down and go after them! Some of the Veterans here like Damian have done just that and have been successful, sometimes you just get lucky and your in the right place at the right time. Enjoy your time in the woods, and the HUNT, not just the kill. This will be my 6th year hunting the Sam and I have shot and recovered 1 Deer, but I really enjoy hunting public.

Jason

Comment

I'm ready for bow season!!!

Comment

Im ready for this year sounds and looks like I'm going to be getting to hunt sam more this year and I'm ready for the meet and greet and dmack are you ready to have as 3d shoot and shoot 100 yards

Comment

Originally posted by PineyWoodsBow View Post
                  Hello my hunting brothers, good to see the new thread as this means the season is just around the corner! Well I took the wheels off this year so we will see how that goes, shooting a recurve this year, I just thought I would lower my odds even more!

clintmurphy,
                  Hunting public for deer is an Odds game, you do the best you can to increase your odds of getting within killing range of a mostly nocturnal, highly pressured, public land deer. Other than the obvious like you said, I would add don't limit yourself to treestand hunting, sometimes that can DECREASE your odds, don't be afraid to get down and go after them! Some of the Veterans here like Damian have done just that and have been successful, sometimes you just get lucky and your in the right place at the right time. Enjoy your time in the woods, and the HUNT, not just the kill. This will be my 6th year hunting the Sam and I have shot and recovered 1 Deer, but I really enjoy hunting public.

Jason
                  That is the plan. I can't wait to get my little rugrat out with me. I'm determined to get my wife something this year though. She has never harvested an animal. I'm very proud of her though, absolutely 0 experience with a bow the summer of 2013 now grouping less than an inch at 40 yards as of yesterday
                  Hoping this year is hers. Looking forward to a prosperous season.

Comment

Other than obvious signs like trails, transitions, cuts barriers, food source droppings etc... what are some things that catch your eyes? Got a late start last year took the wife out found tracks that looked fresh so had her set up. She said it was a decent sized buck but she couldn't get him to come into range. What could I have seen that I could have gotten her closer to him?
                    Like I was saying, the deer are nomadic. I've sat a stand where I can see 200 yards north and south. I've seen a buck use a trail 80 yards to the north and the next day, 150 to the south. The following day 150 to the north and never see him again. Never winded me. Just normal feeding. There is just no telling. Besides, you may be doing everything right, but that doesn't mean everyone else is. My best advice is to scout the area, look for sign. Try and figure out why they are using it. If you can set up cameras. But most important, be flexible. Be ready to move, and be able to improvise. Almost every deer I have shot over the last 3 seasons came from a new tree I hunted for the first time.

Comment

Yall are nasty! And to be clear, it wasn't cold that night, it actually got HOT....and steamy.

Pineywoods! Holy crap. What's up stranger?! Hope all is well.

Thanks for the new thread HF. Well said. Looking to take my 4th deer in the Sam. Don't want another double. That was too much work! Come on bow season!!!

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. Y'all be safe and send a couple up to boss for me. We are right on the Trinity. Hoping I don't have to row to work tomorrow

Comment

Wow. A new thread pops up and everybody and their mama jumps on. We have not heard from piney and HF in a long time. Before you know it. Todd and holly will be on.

Comment

Originally posted by dmack View Post
                            Wow. A new thread pops up and everybody and their mama jumps on. We have not heard from piney and HF in a long time. Before you know it. Todd and holly will be on.
                            Really? A long time? It's been what, 2 weeks. Dang, you really are hung up on me.

Comment

This thread gets a lot more action than the 2014 thread we yammer on. Thanks for stokin the fire HF!!!

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
                                Really? A long time? It's been what, 2 weeks. Dang, you really are hung up on me.

My buddy, it feels like its been forever.

Comment

Working...
                                X