Teaching myself to turn pen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teaching myself to turn pen

Well, I have a month at home to recover from my ACL surgery, I am taking this time to teach myself how to turn pens.

I am missing a key tool (drill press), but did my best to make the hole in the blanks but ended off centre.

I broke on piece while squaring it, broke another while turning and ended up with a two wood pen. I learned a lot and have a ways to go but it looks ok for a first project

I also tried an acrylic and since I am not centred it won't turn properly, wood is more forgiving

Looks good for your first one. Keep at it.

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

looks good to me

Comment

Tip: I would get a chisel style tool for Turning pens and use that to turn down the ends more to better match the tip and ends. Looks good though!

Comment

That's awesome - keep up the good work! I like the colorations

Comment

Did you get one of those mini lathes too? I look at them every time I walk into woodcraft.

Comment

Originally posted by Greywolf in Hawaii View Post
                Did you get one of those mini lathes too? I look at them every time I walk into woodcraft.
                I stopped by one of our big box renovation store and they had a mini lathe on clearance for 80. I have wanted to try this for a long time but didn't want to fork out the 200 for the lathe so this gave me a good reason to try it out

Comment

"I am missing a key tool (drill press), but did my best to make the hole in the blanks but ended off centre."

I turn alot of pens and find that it is alot easier to drill the blank on the lathe vs a drill press. Off center shouldnt be to bad problem as long as there is enough material to turn.

Comment

Even if you drill slightly off center, with say a 3/4 inch blank you should still have enough to turn round and get it centered for a 7mm pen. I drill on drill press for pens and the lathe for certain game calls. I also have turn between center bushings and helps cut down on run out often found with mandrels. Good luck and enjoy the hobby.

Comment

Pen two completed,

Used some recycled church pew oak to make my own blank

Comment

That looks like your getting the hang of it .

Comment

looking good

Comment

Doing good.

Comment

Nice job on the pen.

Comment

Working...
                              X