Arrow spine question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow spine question.

Shooting a Hoyt Hyperforce 80# 29” Easton Axis 29” with standard 16 grain HIT insert and 100 grain head. Three 2” blazer vanes and a 4” wrap on the back.

According to Easton’s spine chart I’ll be fine at 300 but archers advantage software says I’ll be weak. Even when entering the 260 spine it’s says I’ll be weak according to the software.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sounds about right, while the bow is not overly aggressive the 29" draw length coupled with the 80# is pushing it weak. draw weight has a pretty pronounced effect on spine, more so than some other possible attributes. if you can shorten that arrow up a 1/2" or so it should improve enough to get you out of the red.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
      sounds about right, while the bow is not overly aggressive the 29" draw length coupled with the 80# is pushing it weak. draw weight has a pretty pronounced effect on spine, more so than some other possible attributes. if you can shorten that arrow up a 1/2" or so it should improve enough to get you out of the red.

So if I went 28.75” or 28.5” carbon to carbon you think that would be enough to stiffen me up?

Comment

It will move the needle for sure, how much you need to improve depends on your setup. Just play with it a little.

Comment

A couple of things...

1) Software always seems to chart my arrows as weak, no matter what I do.

2) It will depend on your bow.

Here's a good example.

Tribute, 28.75" DL, 300 spine arrows, 100 gr insert and a 125 tip chart weak but flew like darts.

Logic, 28.75" DL, 350 spine arrows, 100 gr insert and a 125 tip chart very weak.

Virtually the same bows in specs but the Logic did not like the 300 spine arrows. As soon as I tried the 350 spine arrows everything fell into place and they fly like darts. The 350 spine both grouped and bareshaft tuned better out of the Logic.

I know this isn't the answer you are looking for, but I have found that it is better to start with a range of spines (300, 340, 350 etc.) and see which one tunes the best with the least amount of effort.

I am in the camp that it isn't possible to be overspined, but some bows like what they like.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
            A couple of things...

1) Software always seems to chart my arrows as weak, no matter what I do.

2) It will depend on your bow.

Here's a good example.

Tribute, 28.75" DL, 300 spine arrows, 100 gr insert and a 125 tip chart weak but flew like darts.

Logic, 28.75" DL, 350 spine arrows, 100 gr insert and a 125 tip chart very weak.

Virtually the same bows in specs but the Logic did not like the 300 spine arrows. As soon as I tried the 350 spine arrows everything fell into place and they fly like darts. The 350 spine both grouped and bareshaft tuned better out of the Logic.

I know this isn't the answer you are looking for, but I have found that it is better to start with a range of spines (300, 340, 350 etc.) and see which one tunes the best with the least amount of effort.

I am in the camp that it isn't possible to be overspined, but some bows like what they like.

Great advice here.

Comment

Working...
            X