Best student PC- What and where to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best student PC- What and where to buy?

Where is everyone buying their pc’s or laptops?

I have gotten refurbished and new ones from my IT company we use at work. What other options are there?

Bought a cheap Dell from WalMart 2.5 yrs ago and it is slow as ‘lasses in the wintertime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lenovo. Tried them out at Best Buy, bought online at a cheaper price. Had it 4 years now and it still outperforms most of my co workers new laptops.

The key is not going on click-bait sites, getting a adblocker like duckduckgo, and not downloading anything and everything.

Comment

What age student? What does your school district use in class?

Our school district uses Google Classroom. Every student from 6th grade till a senior are given Chromebooks. We bought our kids Chrome Books and it is amazing what a 10 year old kid knows how to do on it already

Comment

I've been a fan of the Chromebooks lately. As long as you're comfortable with cloud storage and wifi only, definitely the way to go. They're lighter, and cheaper!

Comment

Our school district issues iPads to the students.

Comment

I would recommend the Mac and sign up for Best Buy's student discount. I think they knock off 50-100 off of laptops.

Comment

If you go PC, find one that will accept 16 GB of RAM that has an SSD hd, buy a 16gb ram kit off Amazon to upgrade (this step could save you upto 5-600 bucks on some laptops). Then install spy-hunter and schedule a nightly run, should be super quick with any current CPU and chipset. If you find any factory PC slow it is likely because of all the bloatware installed at the factory, the best thing to do is wipe the drive and install the OS fresh.

Like others have mentioned K-12 for your district will have a standard. Our district is Chromebook but that is only at school. You can still access all of your google docs, etc. from either Mac or PC at the house. If for college there is no standard and it just comes down to cost. PC is cheaper but you will have to have a touch of knowledge to get a cheaper one to compete with a MAC. OE's way overcharge for RAM and it is the one thing changed easily to help speed things up!

Comment

Not sure about the schools and students, but for business, a Lenovo is hard to beat. (that's the old IBM group)... Once your student gets into the real world, that Lenovo will serve 'um well, and they'll be ahead with respect to how business runs depending on markets...

Comment

Bought both of our 2 older kids Lenovo Thinkpads when they left for college. Both are majoring in Engineering and they have worked great.

Comment

I’ve always loved dell but they can be pretty pricy

Comment

this

Originally posted by scjeeptx View Post
                      I've been a fan of the Chromebooks lately. As long as you're comfortable with cloud storage and wifi only, definitely the way to go. They're lighter, and cheaper!
                      Bought my son one 4 years ago still running strong and you can get them for about 180 bucks. Daughter has had one for 2 years, no problems on either. You don't need to spend 1500 to 2000 bucks on one. Trust me on this! I even bought one myself for like 119 and I use it to read my sd cards at the place! its a win win

Comment

The Chromebook is something I hadn't thought of.

Both have Ipads and one is a freshman at college with a Dell tablet/laptop device (don't remember the model) that is a year and a half old and isn't holding a charge.

The high schooler uses Google Classroom a lot, so a chromebook might work there.

I haven't looked into Lenovo Thinkpads but will check those out as well.

Comment

The best student PC is called an Apple MacBook. You can get other stuff. I've owned them all. The MacBook is just better.

Comment

Laptop

Originally posted by sandhillhunter View Post
                            The Chromebook is something I hadn't thought of.

Both have Ipads and one is a freshman at college with a Dell tablet/laptop device (don't remember the model) that is a year and a half old and isn't holding a charge.

The high schooler uses Google Classroom a lot, so a chromebook might work there.

I haven't looked into Lenovo Thinkpads but will check those out as well.
                            Both my kids love them and have not had 1 problem. Even if they keep them for a year and drop it and break it, so what throw it in the trash and buy a new one for 180 bucks. Its a no brainer.

Comment

Working...
                            X