Shot placement on a hog with a 22 rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have experience with shooting an 80-100lb hog in the vitals with a 22? I am wondering if it will do the job and kill it? My 7 year old boy is shooting his youth 22 rifle pretty good and I am planning on taking him hog hunting. Not sure if he can place a good steady shot behind the ear since hogs are constantly moving while feeding. I am confident he can put one in the vitals though since it's a larger area. Any help appreciated.

Earhole

Edit: saw where earhole was iffy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Helmet

Comment

I have done it with a 17 hmr but not a 22.

Comment

same as the placement with every other rifle....
          earhole

Comment

IMO, .22 is the "vitals" isnt gonna do anything besides pi$$ em off. Shoot em in the ear hole and he may kill it.

Comment

Just have him shoot an AR.

Comment

22 in the lungs is a lost hog

Comment

if if you hit him in the vitals, you probably won't find them as they will die a slow death if you are lucky.

consider letting him shoot a bigger rifle with reduced recoil rounds.

if he has good ear muffs, then noise shouldn't bother him too much.

Comment

Originally posted by kcmarullo View Post
                    I have done it with a 17 hmr but not a 22.
                    x2

I was actually quite surprised what 17 grains did to 50-60ish pound pigs. Bang, flop, dead

Comment

I doubt you would recover any hog over ~50 pounds even with a good shot. Go for a larger caliber or let him ear-hole a small one.

Comment

Thanks for the input, looks like I will have him place one in the ear hole. I have trail cam pics of varying size hogs so I may have him try for a smaller one. Being his first possible animal kill, I really want to recover it.

Comment

Ear hole or neck on a smaller one should work just fine. I've got a buddy with a 10/22 with a red dot on top and we've killed loads of pigs with it. Decent ammo helps too as always. CCI is what we typically use.

Comment

No one has said ear hole yet so that's my vote.

Comment

If yall get the chance id say right between the eyes

Comment

Working...
                              X