Need some thoughts on a sick calf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some thoughts on a sick calf

We have a calf we bought (born the 1st of the year)that just dropped a bunch of weight and has gotten to the point of struggling to get up.
    We thought it was wormy so we gave it feed through wormer a few weeks ago and it dropped more weight. We thought it probably didn't get enough to get it cleared up so it got a shot of wormer tuesday.
    It has a very snotty greenish discharge so yesterday I gave it a penicillin shotthen another today.
    Today the discharge seemed clear again but it's still weak but the scours are gone.
    It is eating just not chowing down.
    We have been giving it a couple of raw eggs a day for protein, CMPK, some probios for her stomach and electrolytes in her water.
    I felt like she was headed in the right direction with the eating better and drinking and seemed to getting a little more strength.
    We got home tonight and she was laying there just crapping without standing up, also noticed she was peeing.
    I walked over to see if she would stand and she really struggled to get up and I noticed blood in her stool.

Could it have been bad worms and will it take a day or three for her to get strength back?
    Any input would be great

Below is a pic of the stool

Sounds like a call to the vet is in order if not a trip to the vet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coccidiosis

Comment

Take that manure and the calf to the vet.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
          Sounds like a call to the vet is in order if not a trip to the vet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Originally posted by Skinny View Post
          Take that manure and the calf to the vet.
          That's where we are headed in the morning. I thought we turned the corner but when we got in tonight and I went to check on her she seemed worse.

Comment

Take a fresh stool sample to the vet yesterday! Our calf was acting similar to yours a few months back. We only had to have them analyze a small sample to find an infection was the cause. I had wormed him a week or so earlier and the vet said it looked like I had gotten most of them, but he "gave" me 3 shots to give him. One, I think, was an anti-inflammatory and the other 2, I believe, were antibiotics, but not penicillin. 6cc excede 200 mL, 3cc banamine 50 mL, and 15cc baytril 100 mL is what we got. I think time is your enemy here. Our visit and medication bill was around $75.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
              Take a fresh stool sample to the vet yesterday! Our calf was acting similar to yours a few months back. We only had to have them analyze a small sample to find an infection was the cause. I had wormed him a week or so earlier and the vet said it looked like I had gotten most of them, but he "gave" me 3 shots to give him. One, I think, was an anti-inflammatory and the other 2, I believe, were antibiotics, but not penicillin. 6cc excede 200 mL, 3cc banamine 50 mL, and 15cc baytril 100 mL is what we got. I think time is your enemy here. Our visit and medication bill was around $75.

I agree, I thought we could get a head of it and it looks like we were too late. We'll see what the vet says in the morning

Comment

If you would have gave the calf a shot of LA300 earlier it would have probably straightened
                the calf out. With the calf being so weak now it's going to be hard to save her.

Comment

Originally posted by keep View Post
                  I agree, I thought we could get a head of it and it looks like we were too late. We'll see what the vet says in the morning
                  I thought the same thing, and everything I googled pointed to coccidiosis (thank God it wasn't). This is a slaughter calf, and I thought I was gonna be out a lot of money. Good luck, and keep us posted on the results please!

Comment

Update on calf?

Comment

That manure looks like blood in it, possibly coccidiosis
                      Prob should visit a veterinarian pretty quick

Comment

any updates? What did the vet say?

Comment

Hopefully he's busy treating a small issue! Not sure about his setup, or the size of the calf, but we had a time giving ours his shots. Our calf was kinda pushed off on us, and all the equipment I use for the goats is useless for a cow.

Comment

It's been a fiasco this morning. Low tire on the stock trailer. In between hookingbup the trailer and backing it up we lost power at the house. Finally came on aired the tire and she's at the vet now.
                            I'm texting back and forth with jamie about her as we speak

Comment

Spoke with her long enough to know that she doesn't have parasites (she meaning the calf) but that she is younger than we were told then she had to go because the vet was coming back. I'll get the rest of the story shortly

Comment

Working...
                              X