SKS fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SKS fun

So I bought a Yugoslavian SKS last sunday from a member here (thanks Kelly its pretty dang sweet to shoot). And I decided that I wanted to play around with it a little bit and "personalize" it. I might screw it up entirely but it really wasn't too expensive and there are always replacement parts available.

From the beginning. Stopped at the range sunday afternoon on my way to work and ran about 30 rounds of ammo through it. Without even moving the open sights I was shooting 4 inch groups at 100 not problem. Probably the most fun gun I have ever shot. I got it home and took it apart and cleaned all the gunk out of everything. Heres some of the things I did/am thinking about doing with it.

1. Got rid of grenade launcher.
    2. Got rid of grenade launcher sight.
    3. Bought a tapco detachable mag for it(feeds perfectly)
    4. Maybe cut off the bayonet.
    5. Refinish the stock (if you can call it that).
    6. Put on a red dot sight in the scout position.
    7. Maybe a new upper hand guard to mount a light on.

Heres what I have so far.

Click image for larger version

Name:	stock.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	23914949

Name:	stock close.jpg
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	23914950
    Here is the stock the way I got it. It was actually in really good shape.

Name:	dissasembled.jpg
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	23914948
    Disassembled for cleaning. I have also removed the grenade launcher here.

Name:	painted.jpg
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	23914951
    Here is the stock after some serious sanding and a few coats of flat black paint. I am also going to try something I have never done here so I will post pics when the paint dries.

Comment

Nice. Check out AR15.com site. They have a SKS section under the AK area. Lots of great info.

Comment

Have fun!

Comment

Can't wait to see it all finished up!

Comment

check out sksboards.com and the refinishing thread on ar-15. brunnells has some great videos on their site as well.

here is the one i did last summer

Comment

After looking at some of these boards I feel like I should apologize for modifying mine. Oh well its WAY too late now.
              I saw the one you did when I was looking to see if anyone on here had done this. It looks good. Thanks guys. Have to go to work but at least the paint will be dry when I get home.

Comment

To each his own. It is yours anyways. Also check out tech-sights.com if you like more of a aperture/peep type sight.

Comment

Pretty Cool. Im at work tonight so Ill have to wait till I get home to post up mine. I have been meaning to after i redid every thing on my SKS, so i guess Ill have to resize the pictures and post them up.And as far as modifying it,Its like all my guns I bought them to use and enjoy for me. When someone else buys them then they can do as they darn well pleases.
                  Last edited by Jp.; 01-22-2010, 04:20 PM.

Comment

One for the road

Name:	duracoat.jpg
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	23914979

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Just got home and put the stock on the action. I really like the way it turned out. I sanded/painted the upper handguard black but I cant decide if I want to leave it black or "camo" it or put a whole new one on with rails. HMMMM...I will probably speckle it in the morning.

I would like some input about the bayonet though. I originally wanted to keep it and maybe use it on an armadillo or two because they are always bumping into me when I hog hunt. I would kind of like to get rid of the weight because it is kind of rediculous to have a bayonet on a hunting rifle. What does everyone think would look better? Keep in mind that if I take it off the whole lug is going to go too because I cant stand the way it looks to have an empty hook thing hanging off the barrel.

Name:	assembled.jpg
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	23914993

I softened up the cut out for the trigger a little bit too but its kind of hard to see in the picture.

Name:	trigger area.jpg
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	23914994

Comment

I think some silver hog tracks on the handguard would look cool and I would like to try it. Brannon how did you get such good looking outlines on yours? I dont know if I have the artistic ability to make it look right.

Comment

looks like fun

Comment

yours looks good. I cut silhouettes in shelving paper and then stuck them to the gun and painted around them. I just printed out the silhouettes off the computer.

Comment

Working...
                              X