How to kill a pig-Please post kill shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to kill a pig-Please post kill shots

Ok. I am tired of all my pigs getting away. I know that the best shot is a quartering away shot, but I have also seen lots of other kills shots that were just above the leg (lungs?).

Can you guys please post your pictures of pig kill shots (bow and arrow only) so I can get a good feel for where I should be aiming.

Thanks,

The heart and lungs sit real low and forward on a hog. I always tell people to aim for the "elbow" on a broadside hog. The heart is just aboveand behind the elbow. I will see if I can find the hog kill zone pic I have and post it here. If the hog is hard quartering away I put the arrow in right behind the last rib and it usually exits behind the off shoulder hitting lungs and sometimes the heart.

Here is the link to the pic of Hog Vitals

Last edited by Skinny; 04-18-2010, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Pictures will not do much good for you....the best thing is to get them closer to you for a good shot, 20 yards max, 15 or closer is better....aim behind the shoulder and lower than mid body.....good luck.

Comment

My 12 year old says his favorite sure kill spot is right behind the ear with no matter what you are hunting with.....he favors muzzys at 20 yards

Comment

I always go back to what our fearless leader once said...aim so low that you think you might have missed them. I've had the best luck with low shots on hogs. High double lung shots never end well for me. I've found a few that still ran 300 yards with good double lung pass through shots. Stick with the low shot, especially when hunting from the ground.

Comment

this one only went about 45 yards and piled up. The shot was from about 8' off the ground.
            Attached Files

Comment

i prefer about five inches back but this will do the trick if their leg is stepping back. if you can hit here, they wont run far at all. and tracking will be easy
              Attached Files

Comment

as others have noted, aim low .... right at the arm pit crease ; where shoulder attaches to body

pics from texasboars ... last pic graphic yet gives perfect anatomy

Comment

Ugly hunter.....pretty shot
                  The hog made it to the bushes at the top of the screen. 30-40 yds.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
                  I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Comment

Quartering away, near leg forward. Arrow in low just behind near elbow and out just in front of off side leg. Never had 1 go over 25yds with that shot.

Comment

This one only went 30 yards...300 lbs boar...drilled his heart with a Rage 2-Blade

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQbX6z-YyF0"]YouTube- Hog Hunting: TEXAS HOG HUNT # 8 (SLOW MOTION KILL SHOT)[/ame]
                      Last edited by Skinny; 04-18-2010, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Here ya go, Hogdude:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
                        I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Comment

hog shots

Everyone here is telling you the correct shot.AIM FOR THE ELBOW or slightly above it. Any arrow that is placed between the elbow and 3" to 4" above the elbow is going to kill quickly with a short trail. I aim for this area and it has worked well with me. You need to be shooting a good broad head that will perform well on BONE, because chances are you're going to end up in the leg bone at some point. Make sure your shooting a large cutting head also. I like Striker Magnums and Shuttle "T" loks.

Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by txaggie90 View Post
                            My 12 year old says his favorite sure kill spot is right behind the ear with no matter what you are hunting with.....he favors muzzys at 20 yards
                            same here!

Comment

Originally posted by Problem Child View Post
                              Everyone here is telling you the correct shot.AIM FOR THE ELBOW or slightly above it. Any arrow that is placed between the elbow and 3" to 4" above the elbow is going to kill quickly with a short trail. I aim for this area and it has worked well with me. You need to be shooting a good broad head that will perform well on BONE, because chances are you're going to end up in the leg bone at some point. Make sure your shooting a large cutting head also. I like Striker Magnums and Shuttle "T" loks.

Good Luck!
                              What he said.

See my avatar picture. Down 15 or so yards from point of impact. However, as said above, you may not be able to use your broad head again. My Muzzy was trashed after that shot. Impact was a couple inches little lower than I wanted.

Comment

Working...
                              X