Help Preparing for Kansas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Preparing for Kansas

Was lucky enough to book and get drawn for my first northern Kansas bow hunt and looking for a little guidance on what I might need as far as gear from those that have been. The local farmer and other hunters will be calling when the rut starts which historically has been early first to second week of November. Being primary a central to south Texas hunter from box blinds, I'm concerned with potential temperatures up there. I can handle most of what our weather has to offer but tree stand hunting all day with cold fronts will be a different game for me.

Layering is key but I may not have the final layer and boots to handle the cold. I may be over thinking it but worried I'll have a pair of 1600g rubber boots, sweat on the way to the tree and then get cold. Sounds like the range in weather can go from one extreme to another.

So for those on the GS that have experience up north, what would be your choice in clothing or layers? Any other tips like boots, hand or foot warmers, gloves, etc. ?? I appreciate all the info in advance.

Last year was pretty mild but this year you never know. Watch the forecast leading up to your trip but carry enough for that morning when it turns. As far as gear nothing special really just layer up and wear wool instead of cotton has been the vest advice I have received over the years. Good luck with your hunt.

Comment

Buy the stuff sheep hunter wear. Pnuma gear, Sitka, skre, kuiu etc.

Comment

You may be surprised. It can be as cold as a witch's teat or it may be reasonably mild. Walking in and sweating can be an issue. I used to carry my coat, gloves and hat in with me and put them on when I got to the stand, but that doesn't help much. Handwarmers in your pockets can help. I almost bought an electric vest but passed. Start early and try to walk in slowly and not work up as much sweat.

Comment

Foot warmers are the worst thing you can do. If you’re worried about your feet sweating on the walk in, throw it out the window if you use foot warmers. It will be much worse. Merino wool baselayers, including socks with good insulated boots. Sock liners with merino wool socks is all you need.

Be sure your outer garments will shield the wind. It’s windy up there.

I do keep hand warmers, but only in my coat pockets and I will toss my hands in the oven if they start to get cold.

Be careful your boots aren’t so big and bulky that you get to the tree and find out you can’t climb a stick ladder in them.

Comment

Heater body suit is essential. That thing will keep you warm with less layers underneath.

In my experience time in the stand is what it takes in Kansas. The heater body suit for me makes it easier to sit longer. It’s easy to come out of and shoot, keeps you warm and concealed.

I also think Ozonics is critical.

Just my 2 cents

Comment

Keeping your body warm isn’t too tough, just have appropriate layers. Make sure and also something for your neck and face. It make be 25-35 deg, but once the wind picks up, it will cut right through you. I have never been able to keep my feet warm, even on cold hunts down here. The boot blankets have been my best solution for warm feet up there. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertx View Post
                Keeping your body warm isn’t too tough, just have appropriate layers. Make sure and also something for your neck and face. It make be 25-35 deg, but once the wind picks up, it will cut right through you. I have never been able to keep my feet warm, even on cold hunts down here. The boot blankets have been my best solution for warm feet up there. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Feet are my main concern. I have seen the boot blankets but they have mixed reviews but still like the idea. The Heater suit as gmac mentioned looks like it would cover all bases.

Comment

as others have said, watch the forecast. if cold, i mean COLD. dress in layers.
                  walk SLOW to stand to not sweat, carry some clothes if you can. Hand warmers in pockets. keep head / face warm. I use electric socks to keep the feet warm on those BITTER windy days.

Comment

Originally posted by Notaguide View Post
                    Feet are my main concern.
                    For the last 2 or 3 years, it has been pretty warm and I always hunted the beginning of the 3rd week of Nov in south central Ks. What you need for cold days is an outer shell that is insulated and WIND PROOF, as well as layers. I always put on a base layer first, then thermals, a turtle neck shirt, and a heavy sweat suit. Then put on the outer shell once I got to the stand. Your feet, a good insulated boot and wear regular socks to the stand. Once you get to the stand, take those socks off and put on a liner sock then a wool sock.
                    I did buy a Heater Body Suit and they work. Just make sure you wear a toboggan for the head and you can stay on stand all day in sub freezing temps with any amount of wind. Since I bought that about 4 years ago, only had to use it twice.
                    The problem with hunting Ks, or at least where I hunted, it was long walks to the stand, and trying to carry everything you need can get "bulky"!!
                    Good luck on your hunt. I'm setting out this year!!

Comment

Coming from PA and hunting there and NE OH a lot, layers are key. Also if it's really cold, like 0-teens, carry your outer layers in and put on at the tree to minimize sweat. I disagree with Sleepy about foot warmers being the worst thing you can do and throwing them out. But don't put them in until you are at the tree or blind. Otherwise your feet will sweat and that leads to cold quickly. Also avoid boots that are too tight, you need some air circulation for a cushion. I like to wear thin merino liner socks under wool socks, so that can make boots that fit snugly be too tight. Once at my stand I like to use the stick on foot warmers and put them on the merino liner. I get cold easily and my left foot is permanently numb from nerve damage, so it feels and gets cold easily. This works for me. It may not work for you. Good luck and have fun!

Comment

Lots of good info! I'm hoping to make a trip late September to get a grasp of distances and layout of existing stands on the place. Wanting to pin my phone to save myself a little confusion and time before season starts. I'll know more then of what to expect. It will be a new experience for sure and totally pumped up about it.

Comment

We hunt in north central Kansas and after 9 years I have had only one morning that I was so uncomfortable I couldn't sit longer than an couple hours. Most of the time your lows are in the mid teens to twenties with highs in the forties....but I have also experienced highs all the way to the 80's. I layer with a good quality base layer then a mid weight and then an outer layer. I do not have the budget to get the high dollar hunting so I shop clearances and amazon to get as good as I can afford and that works for me. I also go to walmart and buy Hot Hands and keep them in my pockets do I don't have dexterity problems.

Comment

Buy cold weather gear but don’t take the tags off and wash it until close to your trip! I bought a bunch of stuff last year that I ended up not needing. Luckily I had done this so I was able to return a lot of it.

Comment

Working...
                            X