Looking for a bird pup next year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a bird pup next year

Ok next year I will be in the market for a hunting buddy/pasture buddy. It will mainly be for dove (flushing as well as retrieving) but there may be occasional duck hunting as well.

I think I have narrowed it down to 3 breeds,

Boykin Spaniel

Brittney Spaniel

GSP

I have kids and other dogs and there will be lots of yard to run in.

What does the GS think would be the best fit for what I'm looking for?

Brittany Spaniels are excellent dogs. get one from a reputable breeder....mine went gunshy after 3 hunts.....

Comment

Any other opinions?

Comment

Ttt

Comment

Just a thought, what about a pointing lab if you can find one?

Comment

I think the lab may be a little on the bigger side of what I'm looking for.

I know the GSP is fairly big but are labs bigger?

Comment

Flushing, retrieving and duck hunting? And, you have kids and a big yard to run in? Sounds like a lab would fit your needs nicely. As far as size goes, the smaller labs run in the 60 pound range and the larger ones are over 100 pounds.
              My yellow lab female is 100 pounds on the nose and she is a tall, strong girl. She is a very strong water dog but if I were to hunt her mainly over upland game, I would opt for a smaller lab as from what I have experienced, they have a little more stamina when hunting quail in warmer weather for example.
              Labs are not high strung as a rule compared to the spaniels you mention but they are great dogs as well.
              I am bias towards labs but there are a lot of good breeds out there to meet your needs as well.

Comment

I did originally what a chocolate lab but was afraid it may be to big

Comment

My male lab is 70 pounds. My female GSP is 60 and solid muscle. I bred them last year and their pups (3) are outstanding. One female was retrieving at 13 weeks and has started pointing but the guy that has her doesn't know how to work with her on pointing. My lab is used for dove duck and deer tracking. Sounds like maybe a smaller framed lab would fit you well.

Comment

I guess a lab is something I need to keep in mind.

Comment

My Brittany died last week. Ordered another this week. He/she won't replace my Tess, but help to fill a Tess-shaped void. I got/am getting both from Chief's Brittanys (Google it). They're NOT a puppy mill and Dave (owner) trains them for you once they've lived with you for a few months. He's a pro with the breed, not much more to say. Tess was fantastic on upland and dove, although, as you probably know, Brittanys are primarily pointers and sometimes you have to train "force retrieve" which Dave can do. Just something to think about if it's going to be primarily for dove. Great in the house and around kids. Needs exercise/play with kids or other dogs as with any gun dog. Good luck!

Comment

With 4 daughters and over a half acre backyard exercise is a given. I would bet the kids may out run the pup with a little tag team.

Comment

Working...
                        X