Long season success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long season success

I turned 39 this year, and the wheels fell off. I guess I have not taken care of myself health wise, and I have paid the price. Consequently I have not spent near as much time hunting as normal because I have been sick with one thing or another most of the season. No worries, I was really more concerned about getting my son a deer, than myself. I did a little hunting in October, very little in November, and a few days in December. It seemed as if when I could go and was healthy the weather, moon phase, or some other problem kept deer movement to a minimum. I had not seen many mature deer this season, and does were really hard to come by as well. I missed a cull buck the week before Christmas, lack of practice I am sure. My son and I returned on Thursday after Christmas with intentions of hunting through the weekend. My son shot the cull I missed with his rifle Thursday evening, and I was blanked. Friday morning was cold and wet with a heavy fog and drizzle. I love hunting those weather conditions, although it can make tracking difficult. I had seen several small bucks and was really not expecting anything else when this deer appears. I was really unprepared and had not even put on my release. He fed around for a few minutes while I got ready and then presented a perfect broadside shot at about 23yards. The arrow looked perfect, he jumped and then jumped out of the feed pen and hit the brush. I thought I heard a crash a few seconds later. I forced myself to wait 20 minutes, but the shot looked perfect so I got out to find my arrow, which I could not. This is where it gets a little wierd. I decided to follow up the blood, and the trail was significant. There were several large puddles of blood about 12" across with foamy blood. I have never seen a deer go more than 50 yards with a blood trail like this. I went about 50 yards and lost the blood. I started circling and found that the deer had doubled back towards the feeder. I tracked him to the brush directly behind the feeder, when I jumped him. This had been at least 40 minutes since the shot, and I was literally feet from him when I was looking for my arrow. I waited a few minutes and decided to follow. I again followed one of the easiest tracks I have had with blood everywhere. It made no sense to me how a deer could bleed this much and not be down. I tracked him to one of the cross fences on our property, and saw that he had jumped the fence. This concerned me as a hurt deer will not usually jump. I decided to head to the house and give it some time. After breakfast I got back on the track on the other side of the fence. (Still on our property.) When he jumped the fence the wound really opened up and I literally did not have to look at all I was just walking the blood. Another 75 yards and I found him piled up under a cedar. I then saw that my shot was low. When I cleaned him I saw that I had just cut the tip of the heart, and the lower lobe of one lung. He is not my biggest buck, but with the season I have had, I was happy to get him. That evening my son shot his bow buck so all is good.
    Attached Files

Congrats. Great looking buck

Comment

Awesome buck!

Comment

Congrats to both of you what has been a tough season. I too have had a slow one and have one more shot at this weekend.

Comment

Congrats on a great deer. Way to hang in there and pull it out

Comment

Great buck. Congrats!

Comment

congrats

Comment

Working...
              X