Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bonefish Trip - Kamalame Cay (Andros Islands)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bonefish Trip - Kamalame Cay (Andros Islands)

I'm heading to fish in early June. The place we are staying at has a big flat walking distance from the room and supposedly brings in a lot of bones when the tide is right.

I'm bringing a 6 weight (light I know) and a 12 weight if we find some permit, barracuda, or tarpon.

Has anyone fished here before? If so do you have any advice?

Also, if anyone has some flies they want to get rid of I'm looking to buy some.

I'm going to go on 3 guided trips and fish around the resort. The resort is small and supposed to have really good fishing there and be good for the wife.

2 trips will be fishing the flats and 1 will be offshore at a reef close by.

Does anyone have any recommendations on guides? I believe I will be stuck with who the resort books with because it's a remote island.

Thanks for any info you can give me. First bonefish trip and I'm excited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kamalame Cay is a awesome resort and one of our favorite places to visit. Flemming is a great guide but does not work full time for the resort so you may want to see if he is available. I've fished probably 8 days with him over the years and couldn't be happier. True gentlemen and knows how to spot and pole as good as any I've been with. He's also not scared to get out of the boat and jump a sand bar for a school of fish if needed.

I'd recommend a 7wt on the smaller size and 8wt for the open water wind. Bones there can range up to 7lbs. and 4-5lbs isn't hard to find. The 6wt at the resort lagoon will work fine though. If you have the time, the Joulters on the opposite side of the island is very nice and you most likely won't see another boat the entire day.

The lagoon at the resort goes dry depending on low tide. As the tide rises, the bones will work their way past the casitas. It's best if the tide is coming in late evening as you can sit on your golf cart waiting while enjoying a beer. You will see several small schools or pairs working there way through 6" or more. It's probably one of the best parts of the resort if you stick with it.
    Last edited by Notaguide; 05-24-2018, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Notaguide View Post
      Kamalame Cay is a awesome resort and one of our favorite places to visit. Flemming is a great guide but does not work full time for the resort so you may want to see if he is available. I've fished probably 8 days with him over the years and couldn't be happier. True gentlemen and knows how to spot and pole as good as any I've been with. He's also not scared to get out of the boat and jump a sand bar for a school of fish if needed.

I'd recommend a 7wt on the smaller size and 8wt for the open water wind. Bones there can range up to 7lbs. and 4-5lbs isn't hard to find. The 6wt at the resort lagoon will work fine though. If you have the time, the Joulters on the opposite side of the island is very nice and you most likely won't see another boat the entire day.

The lagoon at the resort goes dry depending on low tide. As the tide rises, the bones will work their way past the casitas. It's best if the tide is coming in late evening as you can sit on your golf cart waiting while enjoying a beer. You will see several small schools or pairs working there way through 6" or more. It's probably one of the best parts of the resort if you stick with it.

Thanks!

I picked these up today and also have some shrimp patterns.

I do plan on fishing at the resort quite a bit and thanks for the info. I'm fishing with a guy named Carlton Mackey. Here is his website:

Flyfishing guide in amazing Andros, Bahamas for bonefish, tarpon, and permit. Your chance at that the ultimate experience of a Grand Slam!!

Flyfishing guide in amazing Andros, Bahamas for bonefish, tarpon, and permit. Your chance at that the ultimate experience of a Grand Slam!!

I booked through Carlton as an independent guide instead of booking through the resort. I hope they don't get mad. But, it was cheaper and I always like to find someone local instead of the resort guides. Have you ever heard of him?

I'll have to look up Flemming! On those trips did you get into any tarpon, barracudas, or permits?

Carlton and I are heading to Joultes the day after I get there. It sounds like about a 45 minute car ride. He said he trailers his maverick and will meet me over there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You'll have a blast at Kamalame. I have been visiting and fishing there for more than 20 years (I have house on the cay). The back flat is great (3 miles of water to fish!) - it does empty out during low tide, but even if it looks dry you can often find fish at the top and bottom of the cay as there is always water there. And you can wander up Staniard Creek anytime to fish (the creek you cross to reach Kamalame).

Carlton will take care of you. It is a 45-minute drive to The Joulters (you'll need to line up a taxi with Kamalame's Guest Services if Carlton is going to meet you up there - it's at the northern end of mainland Andros). The "house" guides are all first-rate and have fished Andros their entire careers.

You may see a permit or tarpon in The Joulters, but don't count on it - those fish are definitely in the "bonus" category. You can find some barracuda - a blast on a fly rod.

Carlton should have some flies, and Kamalame usually has as a good selection (I supply them). Gotchas in sizes 2 to 6 will probably be your staple, and the Bonecrushers you have are worth a shot. You'll need 10-ft leaders in 6-, 8-, and 10-pound test. Wire if you're planning to chase barracuda.

I'd be happy to give you more details and tell you a few secret hotspots. It would be easier to review everything on the phone. Feel free to send me your phone # or call me at the below number if you'd like to chat.

Best regards,

Beaver
        724-312-0824

Comment

Working...
        X