Poke Salad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poke Salad

Anybody else like to pick poke salad this time of year? There's been a few threads on dewberries lately so I'm curious if any of yall do this as well. Picking poke salad and dewberries is a yearly tradition for us. Cook up the greens southern style for my yearly "spring tonic", followed up with a dewberry cobbler.

What the heck is a poke salad? Or have I been living under a rock?

Comment

I did it as a kid with my grand parents in Arkansas. I wouldn't know what it looks like now.

My Granny put boiled eggs in her poke salad but didn't in any other greens like collards or mustard.

Comment

My granny from Tennessee always did.

Comment

Poke leaves, bacon bits,chopped green onion. Then top it with oil(hot bacon grease when was poor) and vinegar and black pepper. Did the same thang with dandelion greens.

I bet you get some dandy answers though.

Comment

Originally posted by Neck View Post
            What the heck is a poke salad? Or have I been living under a rock?
            Down there we have a plant that grows out in the woods, and the fields
            And it looks somethin' like a turnip green
            Everybody calls it polk salad
            Now that's polk........ salad
            Used to know a girl lived down there and she'd go out in the evenings and
            Pick her a mess of it
            Carry it home and cook it for supper
            Because that's about all they had to eat
            But they did all right
            "Down in Louisiana, where the alligators grow so mean
            Lived a girl, that I swear to the world
            Made the alligators look tame
            Polk salad Annie, gators got your granny
            Everybody said it was a shame
            Because her momma was a workin' on the chain gang"

Comment

I don't think I've ever eaten it, but I have a pretty good crop of it this year.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

^^^^^
                Tony Joe White! He sang that.

Comment

Originally posted by Tryton View Post
                  I did it as a kid with my grand parents in Arkansas. I wouldn't know what it looks like now.

My Granny put boiled eggs in her poke salad but didn't in any other greens like collards or mustard.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz83 View Post
                    Anybody else like to pick poke salad this time of year? There's been a few threads on dewberries lately so I'm curious if any of yall do this as well. Picking poke salad and dewberries is a yearly tradition for us. Cook up the greens southern style for my yearly "spring tonic", followed up with a dewberry cobbler.

Did the sane thing as a kid growing up. We picked dewberries abs my dad picked poke salad. I never ate it growing up though. We have lots of berries up here,bout Haven’t thought about poke salad in years

Comment

Yep. I tried it once and wasn't impressed. My pawpaw loved to make it

Comment

How does it differ from a regular salad? Lets say a ceasar salad?

Comment

Never ate it, but googled how it was supposed to be cooked. Looks like you got to be careful in the prep.

Comment

The plant is actually called Poke Salat but people make salad out of it. Here is a primer:

A blog is about the wild edible and medicinal plants of Texas and North America. It is run by chemist herbalist Dr. Mark Merriwether Vorderbruggen.

Comment

Originally posted by MQ32Shooter View Post
                              Never ate it, but googled how it was supposed to be cooked. Looks like you got to be careful in the prep.
                              Cant eat the big leaves, if they make milk, do not eat. Big leaves is for wiping with and little leaves is for eating.

Comment

Working...
                              X