new to bow hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new to bow hunting

i have decided to focus on my bow hunting,looking to hunt grainger lake area, what do i need to hunt there or is there any way to get access/in touch with people having trouble with hogs?

post this in the campfire, you might get more response.

Comment

To hunt Granger you need the public lands permit in addition to your hunting license. Surf to the Granger WMA site to find closure dates. MAKE SURE you also read the TPWD Prohibited Acts link which tells you things like don't bring a firearm for finishing off wounded animals.

Basically you just find a date the area is open, put on the federal safety orange (at least while walking around) and go. You can bait for hogs and put up stands, but can't leave anything over 72 hours. You are theoretically limited to only 30 minutes after sundown which poses a problem for hog hunting as they seem to really start moving about a hour after sundown.

On Granger, both gun and bow hunting pressure are insufficient to keep the hog population in check (them being so nocternal and all) so TPWD has to conduct a 'purge' every year or so with a government hunter in a helicopter.

I have found no central forum for finding landowners who would be willing to let hunters come and clean up nusance hogs. The county animal control officers know who has reported problems, but are prohibited by the privacy act from releasing that information. I have heard that there are big problems with hogs on the golfcourse in Georgetown, a call from a bowhunter who promises to be descrete may be fruitful. There are also draw hunts for hog on some areas around Lake Georgetown.

Comment

Working...
      X