Pigs in the SHNF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pigs in the SHNF

I've been out a few times looking for pigs in the SHNF, but have been unsuccessful so far. Is anyone else having any luck?

They are there, especially in the low areas.
    They are probably just nocturnal

Comment

shot this one this morning. Got on two groups for a total of about 20 hogs. I usually have a hard time finding them but since it's flooding they are coming out more(that's my guess) get out there and keep trying, it will eventually happen.

Comment

Nice hog, what time of day did you see them?

Comment

Hey guys new to the area from NJ and giving this hog hunting a try. With that said I do have a lot of questions. I went out for the first time this last weekend and didn't see any hog signs or hogs, but did get run up on by a coyote. Let him go as I was hunting more for BBQ.

Went out again today to a new spot and found a ton of pig and deer tracks, but no sign of life. Walked about 1.5 miles into the woods and nothing. On my way out I was following some big tracks and found where the hogs are going back into the thick brush. I waited there for a good hour and a half feeding the Mosquitos and biting knats, but again never heard a peep other than crickets and birds.

So my big question is do you guys hunt hogs staying stationary or on the move? If in the move do you walk out into the underbrush? If so do you recommend snake boots? Seems everything down here in the woods is poisonous or will bite you. I know I fished lake Conroe on the northern side last summer and the water moccasins were a plenty.

Comment

Originally posted by raceruss2003 View Post
            Hey guys new to the area from NJ and giving this hog hunting a try. With that said I do have a lot of questions. I went out for the first time this last weekend and didn't see any hog signs or hogs, but did get run up on by a coyote. Let him go as I was hunting more for BBQ.

Went out again today to a new spot and found a ton of pig and deer tracks, but no sign of life. Walked about 1.5 miles into the woods and nothing. On my way out I was following some big tracks and found where the hogs are going back into the thick brush. I waited there for a good hour and a half feeding the Mosquitos and biting knats, but again never heard a peep other than crickets and birds.

So my big question is do you guys hunt hogs staying stationary or on the move? If in the move do you walk out into the underbrush? If so do you recommend snake boots? Seems everything down here in the woods is poisonous or will bite you. I know I fished lake Conroe on the northern side last summer and the water moccasins were a plenty.
            If the pigs aren't moving, you won't see any staying put. With it getting warmer they are going nocturnal. They will stay bedded down until the feel threatened, sometimes you can walk right passed them and never know it. If you're in the thick stuff and start to smell a strong stink, you're on top of them, or they were just there. Snakes are a concern. There's a decent number of rattlers out there, so snake boots are up to you. I've spent a lot of time there and havent worn any.. yet. As far as cotton mouths, it's worth while to learn to distinguish cotton mouths from harmless water snakes. I see a whole lot more harmless snakes on the water than i do cotton mouths.

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

As far as snake go, I just prefer to stay away from them all. I just find myself watching the ground as much as I do looking forward for hogs. Haha

As far as smell, I noticed in two distinct spots where it started smelling very strong like there was a horse nearby. I wasn't sure if I was picking up on animals or if there is some type of tree down here I don't know about that smells like that. To give you an idea of how strong it was, I have a deviated septum that currently blocks about 70% of the air going through my nose, and it was still quite noticeable.

Lastly and may sound like a stupid question, what are the rules on wearing hunter Orange now that deer season is over? Not that I want to get shot, but I am pretty sure I stand out in the woods like a sore thumb. In Jersey you wear your orange until you get to your tree stand and then hide it. So this roaming/flush out technique is a bit different.

Comment

Vest and hat at all times while hunting. Did you get the annual public hunting permit when you got your license? They should have mailed you a rule and map book. The first few pages of that book is full of info to be familiar with. There's a number of easy ways to get a citation if you have not read it.

You may have smelled some hogs. Pretty distinct, strong stinch. There's a few weeds out there that have a strong smell too, but not really a stinch.

Comment

Saw one standing on the side of 1375 a few weeks ago, this was probably 4 pm. 2 cars where taking pictures and the pig had no care in the world

Comment

Yeah I got the permit with the license and was wearing the vest and hat. I just was not sure if they both applied when out of deer season.

What have you guys found to work with biting knats? Apparently they are not phased by OFF.

Comment

Thermacell works on knats and mosquitos.

Comment

Found the hogs Saturday, could not get close enough in thick cover. I saw a couple of cottonmouths but have yet to see a rattler. Was told now timber rattlers are protected will have to check before I go out again.

Comment

Went out looking for hogs again yesterday. I got out in the woods a little later than I had hoped at about 7:30 and ended up covering about 9 miles altogether.

I went back to the last spot I went (off 1375) since it had rained and hoped to find some good fresh track to try and follow. I ended up walking up on at least 2 different herds of deer 3 different times. All does, and they were making quite the fuss when they realized I was standing there looking at them. I did manage to come across some "fresh" hog tracks but not as many as before. About 3 miles in I did see a very large set of tracks that led into a big thicket. It looked like they had been going in and out of there a lot. I circled and tried to find a way in but it was super dark and no way in.

Once I gave up on that and was walking out to the truck I did come up on a gray fox. He was walking on top of a downed tree and just cruising a long. Let him go as I was not sure if they are in season or not.

I decided to switch locations and try the area off of 208 since the ATV trails have been closed for several weeks and it has been quiet over there. That was a complete waste of time as I found nothing.

Tried to switch areas one more time. Went to another spot just off 1375 and about 3/4 of a mile in my wife started texting me. I knelt down for a quick rest to text her back and as I was doing so I heard something coming at me through the woods...fast. I drop my phone and spun around and as I did so a coyote jumped out of the woods about 10 yards from me. He saw me and back tracked the way he came and disappeared as quickly as he popped out. That was when I realized there was another one now behind me on the other side. So I once again spun around and he saw me when he was about 20 yards out. He turned and ran about another 30 yards away and stopped to take a look at me but all I could see what his head looking straight on at me. Could not get a good shot on his body.

So that was my excitement for the day. No hog kill, but I will keep trying.

Comment

Raceruss, there's no better way to do it than what you're doing. Keep at it and it'll pay off. That's when it's the most rewarding. As far as fox season, there is no season. Take em whenever you want. Good luck and keep trying.

Comment

hunt hunt hunt good luck. I'd rather be there than in the office. I'm starting to get the deer hunting itch.

Comment

Working...
                              X