Axis Ground Meat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
    Axis is special. I eat it just like the good Lord made it, all except the spots....
    Greatness

Comment

Just got my first axis this past weekend. She had a lot of fat and I decided to keep it and see if it would be good to put in some ground meat. Started by rendering a piece on low heat in a skillet and passed the smell test with no odor and clear grease. Browned it up and ate it and it was amazing, just like fat off a ribeye steak and did not leave that waxy coating like whitetail has. I ended up with a pound of pure axis fat that I mixed in about 10 pounds total.

Deer fat is very different than other animal fats, but very healthy with similarities to fatty fish like salmon. The key is using it properly and quickly as it doesn't store well so eat within 3-6 months at most. Have something acidic like wine or a salad with vinaigrette dressing to cleanse the palate.

Comment

Comment

I mix it with beef suet...10%

Comment

60% Venison
            40% Bacon Tips and Ends

Makes for great ground meat

Comment

I know Kuby's in Dallas does 5% beef fat to the axis I've had them ground.. stuff is unreal. just wish I had axis in North Texas closer to home!

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                Straight so I can mix it if I want to (for burgers) or not (for s'ghetti sauce).
                this...

Comment

80% Axis
                  20% Bacon ends

Comment

Working...
                  X