Transfer of ag exemption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transfer of ag exemption

Has anybody been to the process recently of tying a property with an existing Ag exemption? We are looking at a place in Parker County that has a current ag exemption in place. It’s a smaller property and I’m confident that it would probably not qualify anymore due to them cracking down on the size of properties that are being ag exempt. It would be our Homestead, and the house has the 1 acre tied to that. But there are 4 acres or so that are ag exempt. How does that process work, does the exemption automatically transfer and then it is just up to me to maintain it?

Thank you for any feedback. I’m open to phone conversations as well if that is easier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the place is too small for cattle ,look at bees. As far as transferring the exemption if it is still available ,you have to go to courthouse & fill out the form to have or transfer it to your name.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
      If the place is too small for cattle ,look at bees. As far as transferring the exemption if it is still available ,you have to go to courthouse & fill out the form to have or transfer it to your name.

Is the transfer a reapplication or do they need some proof of ag just to do the transfer?

Comment

They will have record of ag exemption. You basically are just transferring over to you. If the place is being broken up, make sure you know what the minimum acreage is for it to stay exempt. We have bought in 2 different counties now & in both we just had to reapply for it. Just make sure if you can get it, you do what is required,because if you don't and the county finds out you will be paying back taxes & waiting 5 yrs to get it again.

Best thing to do is call the appraiser in that county & let them tell you what is required for ag exemption there. We switched over to wildlife on our current place & it is more work with records etc.

Comment

I bought 3cres next to my house that was part of 58acres and just transferred the exemption in my name. I lease it to the farmer and he takes care of it for me. Nothing to it.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
            They will have record of ag exemption. You basically are just transferring over to you. If the place is being broken up, make sure you know what the minimum acreage is for it to stay exempt. We have bought in 2 different counties now & in both we just had to reapply for it. Just make sure if you can get it, you do what is required,because if you don't and the county finds out you will be paying back taxes & waiting 5 yrs to get it again.

Best thing to do is call the appraiser in that county & let them tell you what is required for ag exemption there. We switched over to wildlife on our current place & it is more work with records etc.

Thank you for the info. It is not being broken up, just sold as is.

Comment

You have to re apply for the exemption/appraisal. It’s just paperwork...but it’s simple. It does not transfer.

Comment

Sorry, I didn't catch the part about being broken as just worried they are cracking down on size. Just make sure everything is up & up with their rules & it is no problem or issue.

Comment

what was the existing AG exemption for?

Comment

Once you've closed on the property, you will need to apply for the agricultural special tax valuation(ag. exemp.) through the County Appraisal Office. They keep records, they know what's been going on there for the last several years. It's done case by case and Counties rules and regs. do vary from County to County. Keeping it in the same usage usually helps in retaining ag. exempt. Bee keeping has become popular in some Counties on smaller tracts.
                    Last edited by Birddog66; 01-14-2019, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Go to the appraisal district on Santa Fe and talk to them. When we bought land out here we had to transfer it and maintain it. They told us everything to do and what is required to keep it. I have heard that Parker county has a minimum of 10 acres now and isn't allowing it for horses, but I have not seen that myself.

Comment

My place had Timber valuation in place when I bought it (December of '13). That was set to expire in April of 14 if I hadn't submitted a new timber management plan by the deadline. I did it in time, it was approved, and my Timber valuation has been fine since then.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
                          Go to the appraisal district on Santa Fe and talk to them. When we bought land out here we had to transfer it and maintain it. They told us everything to do and what is required to keep it. I have heard that Parker county has a minimum of 10 acres now and isn't allowing it for horses, but I have not seen that myself.

That’s what I was worried about in terms of the size of the property. I just wondered if it was currently exempt if they would go ahead and honor that as long as you maintained it. I will either give them a call or go by in person and find out

Comment

Although the folks at the Parker County appraisal district are pretty easy to work with, I think you'll have problems with the size of your property.
                            When we bought our property (15 acres) in 1998, I didn't even think about 'ag exemption.' A couple of years later, I got a tax bill without exemption (around $1,600). At that time, I had cattle running on the place and we hadn't started building our house. I went to the appraisal district and they said they would assume it was being used for ag purposes before I bought it and that the last two years were just 'fallow years' (I think they required ag use for 5 of 7 years) and they reverted my status to 'ag use'. That changed my tax bill to $21.

Comment

Since it is currently in ag, if there is a problem with the transfer it can be converted to wildlife.

Comment

Working...
                              X