Red Wolf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Wolf?

I've been saying for years they are still around...

From an expert in the matter(copied from his post):

All, I am editing this post to correct both assumptions and the “shorthand” it was originally written in.

The past three days have been interesting to say the least.

Was called in to identify, get samples and coordinate with this trapped animal. The guy that trapped this canid knows coyotes and knew this wasn’t a normal Coyote in size or look. So he called in for help.

This appears to be a Red Wolf or mix, just North of Dallas, Texas. They were supposed to be extinct in this area of Texas. However, there have been captures, kills and sights for decades of larger and different looking “Coyotes” in East Texas, Louisiana and even into Oklahoma. There are sources of information about the history and genetics of the Red Wolf on line. If you are interested, I suggest you read up on them. I am happy that this post has made many people aware of the existence of other rare canid species and subspecies. The Red Wolf was almost entirely wiped out and was declared extinct in 1980 from the wild. There were fewer than 20 that were captured and used as “pure” examples to use for Conservation efforts.

This animal has so much Red Wolf in him, from markings, looks, proportion, size, etc. like those in North Carolina or in Conservation sites, that it was important enough to take samples from him for analysis. The samples were requested by US Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) and the Endangered Wolf Center to determine how much, if any, Red Wolf DNA is in the young animal.

We took measurements, detailed photos and weighed the animal. Those details are for USFWS. I was trying to provide a little information and did not expect this post to go beyond a very small circle. It has brought out everyone, which is good to have awareness. My statements were about the amazement that nature always seems to have a way to survive.

Coyotes have gone in where humans extirpated wolves. Fewer Wolf partners have created situations that wolves have mated with Coyotes, since Coyotes have become one of the most successful species of canid on earth. Yes, almost all North American Wolves have some percentage of Coyote DNA in them from 3% to 70 or 80%. It does not change that they are also Wolf.

It was an honor and thrill to meet him and take a few samples.

These animals are generally nocturnal hunters, are very timid around humans and don’t bother humans at all. Around twice the size of a regular Coyote, this guy is estimated to weigh in around 60# and appeared to be very healthy. He may or may not have Coyote mixed in there, but looks the part of his ancestors. We will see what DNA results from the USFWS Science lab says.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by PondPopper; 12-12-2018, 02:41 PM.

I think yote.

Comment

Not a Wolf, maybe half Yote/domestic dog.

Comment

looks like a calf and fawn killer to me. Kill it.

Comment

very interesting, thanks for sharing

Comment

I'm thinking dog/yote mix...

Comment

Yote

Comment

Cool. Always cool to see an animal that was thought to be extinct.

Comment

"It got away...... to be with its family"

What a bunch of BS. I bet they didn't pull a genetic sample to check to see if it has "red wolf" genetic material

Just a big yote

Comment

Originally posted by Maxlab View Post
                    Not a Wolf, maybe half Yote/domestic dog.
                    He didn't ask if it was a "wolf"... a red wolf.

I say it's a no brainer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	350px-Canis_rufus_&_Canis_latrans.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	24563690

Name:	Red_wolf_(4531335218).jpg
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	24563691

Name:	red-wolf-at-point-defiance.jpg
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	24563692

Comment

Yote

Comment

A large part of why red wolves were thought to be extirpated was over hybridization with coyotes. It would not be surprising that those genes are still floating around to various degrees in coyote populations allowing physical characteristics to pop up now and then.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggie PhD View Post

What a bunch of BS. I bet they didn't pull a genetic sample to check to see if it has "red wolf" genetic material

Just a big yote
                          Extinct? Where did you find such resourceful knowledge?

Comment

Oh whoops forgot one... he's a red wolf as well, stone cold rabbit and baby killer

He even wears a little bling to attract the lady red wolves, just strengthening the herd ayy?
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Aggie PhD View Post
                              where do you see that?

Comment

Working...
                              X