Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
    [ATTACH]672521[/ATTACH][ATTACH]672522[/ATTACH]
    Just finished up these for Hoyt21. Ended up @ 373 with 20% FOC. She's running a total of 167 grains up front. These will be shot out of a 46# passion @ 26"s. Should be an awesome set-up with the heads he has selected.

Ooohhhhh yyyeeeeaaaaaaa!!!!!

The heads of choice
    125 gr soild

Oh yea these are for the mrs. Lol
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
      [ATTACH]672521[/ATTACH][ATTACH]672522[/ATTACH]
      Just finished up these for Hoyt21. Ended up @ 373 with 20% FOC. She's running a total of 167 grains up front. These will be shot out of a 46# passion @ 26"s. Should be an awesome set-up with the heads he has selected.

Looks good!

That's what I want in a 29" arrow

What's to protocol to get it balance long enough on your finger to be able to us the other hand to snap a photo!

Comment

No pics of mine but im shooting bloodsport fps hunters 350 spine, bohning 4" wrap, three nitro 2" vanes, bloodsport nock and insert. Im running 50gr insert wt with 100gr tip. Arrow is 25.5" carbon to carbon. Bow is an xpedition xcentric 27" draw and 67-68ish pounds. Foc on arrow is 16.3%. Should shoot great. Hope to get to shoot tomorrow.

Muddy, whats your thoughts on my set up?

Comment

Originally posted by sambo73 View Post
          No pics of mine but im shooting bloodsport fps hunters 350 spine, bohning 4" wrap, three nitro 2" vanes, bloodsport nock and insert. Im running 50gr insert wt with 100gr tip. Arrow is 25.5" carbon to carbon. Bow is an xpedition xcentric 27" draw and 67-68ish pounds. Foc on arrow is 16.3%. Should shoot great. Hope to get to shoot tomorrow.

Muddy, whats your thoughts on my set up?

Sounds like you are right where you need to be.

Comment

Originally posted by hoyt21 View Post
            Ooohhhhh yyyeeeeaaaaaaa!!!!!

The heads of choice
            125 gr soild

Oh yea these are for the mrs. Lol
            Year supposed to get the good heads for yourself.

I sure like the way them look

With that head and the arrow muddy built. All I can say is dang.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
              Year supposed to get the good heads for yourself.

I sure like the way them look

With that head and the arrow muddy built. All I can say is dang.
              Yea we got a big exotic hunt coming on jan 1 so I wanted something that hit hard. She shoots those or DRts. The reason I went to solid broad heads is cause the DRts are a little soft the point smashes on bone cause it aluminum. Solids are stainless so they'll take more of a beating. ( I hope ). The DRts are awesome and leave great blood trails. But I like to reuse and re sharpen broad heads. As for me I'll shoot them as well i just have my arrows and sight set up with a 100 gr head. So I shoot the DRts ( with out the collar ) and grizz 2s at around 14-15% foc and it's worked great. After the year I plan on prolly switching to 125s myself to get that little more punch. Wife shoot a 26" chill sdx set @ 46 lbs. that arrow muddy made was a .400 carnivore.

This is the reason I switched spines on her set up and looked for more FOC. THANK GOD SHE HIT THE HEART. given this arrow went through one shoulder and stopped at the other I expected more out of a 17 yard shot with a c.o.c. Head. She was using a .600 spine easton axis at the time. This Is a pic of the penetration she got.
              Attached Files

Comment

So I just get up and I get caught up on my reading.

And.,,,,,,

I have a oh man not another question moment :-(

Sorry.

It might be a moot point but here it is.

A low FOC arrow PUSHES the broadhead through the target.

Now with a High FOC Arrow the Broadhead PULLS the arrow through the target.

I hear you saying "Yes and....?" :-)

Its early and my brains out some where.

I need a stiffer spine arrow. Why?
                Because of the static spine or dynamic spine? Or Both?

Comment

Pushbutton2. It's to early to ask questions. I haven't had my coffee yet.

Okay here is my red neck answer. A arrow that is to weak will flex on impact. This will cause the arrow to whip like the old antenna on a car. This will drastically effect penetration.

Now here is the question. At what point is a arrow to weak and will cause that to happen. ?????? Maybe muddyfuzzy can chime in on that.

I could not sleep this morning so I've been playing with arrows this morning. The arrow is 26.5 in long velocity 300. I have the standard 14gn insert with a 68 gn screw in the back with a 215 gn tip. Foc is 23.95 and arrow is 560 gn. According to ontarget program this arrow is weak.

I have the fletch arrow shooting bullet holes from 6 ft to 19 ft. At 23 ft it has a slight tare. I want do any more tuning till I have 6 arrows then I will tune them to bullet holes from 6 ft to 20 yards. Yes they are fletched.

Comment

From what we've gather here you need a stiffer spine for the foc you wanting cause your putting so much weight up front it weakens it. Think of it as a fishing pole with all the weight at the tip it bends. And being your such a long draw your shafts have more length to bend with loading up the front. That's why wife's arrows were able to be a softer spine and get that extreme FOC. cause they we're cut down short making the soft spine ( for us ) stiff enough for her. With our high poundage when the string is cut loose the shaft naturally bends. So with you long arrows on the shot your gunna have a lot of bend out out of them shafts if your weak with a lot of weight up front.
                    Last edited by hoyt21; 11-22-2014, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Glad for once im a 27" draw

Comment

Watch this video, and read the article with it. This is only part of why you need to understand how arrows react to reach your final desired shaft spine and finished weight.

Stiffer shafts recover faster after shot, and resume straight flight.
                        Stiffer shafts will flex less when shot especially when you have a ridiculous amount of weight up front because you think that is all it takes to get a high FOC.
                        Stiffer shafts are required especially when you have a very long draw to better absurd the energy released upon them when shot so they do not exceed their safe flexing point, and shatter upon release.

Remember basic physics here. An object at rest(arrow at full draw) will remain at rest until acted upon by an external force(string being released). So the front of the arrow is idle until all of the sudden it has a very large force applied to it from behind. The shaft in the middle has to absorb a large amount of the energy. If you have a weak spine, or an arrow that can not efficiently absorb enough of the energy released upon it, it could break. Or it could diminish the energy applied to it by oscillating all the way to the target. Any way, watch this and see how much the shaft is affected by hitting something as simple as an apple. Now multiply that affect when hide and hair and bones are involved.

Oh and nothing pulls an arrow through anything. It is a propelled device. So high or low FOC, the arrow is still being pushed through what ever it hits, by the retained energy and momentum the shaft carries.

Comment

Originally posted by sambo73 View Post
                          Glad for once im a 27" draw

Yep. 26.5

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                            So I just get up and I get caught up on my reading.

And.,,,,,,

I have a oh man not another question moment :-(

Sorry.

It might be a moot point but here it is.

A low FOC arrow PUSHES the broadhead through the target.

Now with a High FOC Arrow the Broadhead PULLS the arrow through the target.

I hear you saying "Yes and....?" :-)

Its early and my brains out some where.

I need a stiffer spine arrow. Why?
                            Because of the static spine or dynamic spine? Or Both?
                            I think that a decent analog to how FOC affects arrow penetration is trying to stab an apple with a swizzle stick straw. If you hold the straw towards the back and stab the apple you aren't going to penetrate the apple as well due to the deformation of the straw. If you choke up on the straw (like moving the balance point forward) and stab the apple, you have effectively stiffened the straw and you will have an easier time penetrating the apple.

You want the static spine of your arrow to be close to the calculated dynamic spine of your bow/arrow/point combination
                            Last edited by JimboBurnsy; 11-22-2014, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimboBurnsy View Post
                              I think that a decent analog to how FOC affects arrow penetration is trying to stab an apple with a swizzle stick straw. If you hold the straw towards the back and stab the apple you aren't going to penetrate the apple as well due to the deformation of the straw. If you choke up on the straw (like moving the balance point forward) and stab the apple, you have effectively stiffened the straw and you will have an easier time penetrating the apple.

You want the static spine of your arrow to be close to the calculated dynamic spine of your bow/arrow/point combination
                              Like this :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                                Different mechanism of course...

Comment

Working...
                                X