3 Yr. T/C Study

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dudley View Post
    Back in the 80's I took a lot of people fishing on the Nunley Brothers' Coyote Ranch. Lots of big tanks filled with some great bass. I really noticed the effects of the solunar tables back then, but have never documented any hard data on the subject til now.
    I hunted that ranch many times. Brings back some great memories with a great family.

Comment

Fantastic info & respect your efforts

I’m going to try the app & your studied wisdom

Comment

This is very interesting. Thanks for your work and documentation.

Comment

I’m sure this all (mostly) true but I can say without doubt it doesn’t mean they’ll necessarily show up a feeder during major or minor times.

Just the same I appreciate you taking the time and making the effort to track this.

Comment

I kept records of deer sightings and kills for the first 24 years that I bow hunted. I found that the moon had more affects on deer than any other single thing. The moon can also have massive affects on blood loss and then, how far the deer might run before expiring. It really made a lot of difference.

Comment

Very cool Dudley. Ive noticed it too and took more notice this WT season. There are some really good threads from years past where people posted up some good free solunar websites that can be adjusted to zip code.

Even though archery wise I got skunked WT wise...activity was spot on.

Comment

I have noticed a strong correlation with the table while bass fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dudley View Post
                  Yes, I tracked that through the first two years and then gave up on it this year. Just didn't see any patterns develop. I did notice that most of the days in November had a high pressure rating, so its easy to say that high pressure days are best when its really not statistically relevant.
                  If your cams were on feeders you probably would get false info. Acorns were so plentiful it would discount any feeder activity. I shot 2 deer this year(bowhunting) and one was 15 minutes from moon transit, the other was about an hour of the rise of the moon. It was very accurate from what I saw during season...that was until December rolled around.

The moon doesn't just affect deer, it affects everything. You could see an increase of animal activity, people activity, personality, mood, appetite change.
                  Last edited by lovemylegacy; 01-15-2019, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Thanks for sharing OP. If you don't mind, what tool are you using to analyze your data? How did you establish the relationship between movement and lunar position?

Comment

To answer some of the questions...
                      Yes, ISolunar is a free app. Most solunar tables are very similar, however, as they chart the four positions of the moon - overhead, underfoot, rising, and setting.

No cameras were placed on feeders, although one was on a hand corn spot that I was unable to keep going all season due to the flooding. It did produce the least consistent results. The other three cameras were at natural travel areas. All were in the same locations each year.

Small property where the deer are usually just passing through. Neighbors on either side don't hunt, but lots of pressure in the surrounding area. Some bucks were on camera regularly and others only occasionally.

Just because there is a correlation between deer movement and moon location doesn't mean they will show up where you are hunting. I got skunked on a lot of these days, only to find a buck was on camera in a different location at that same time. Still, I think it ups the odds to be in a tree during the major or minor activity periods.

Comment

Originally posted by kry226 View Post
                        Thanks for sharing OP. If you don't mind, what tool are you using to analyze your data? How did you establish the relationship between movement and lunar position?
                        No tool, just kept hand written records on a chart I made that shows day, date, time, buck I.D., location, weather, solunar period times, barometric pressure. Relationship between deer movement and lunar position was simply how many daylight buck picks during major period, minor period, and how many occurred outside of either period. Figured the average day was just over 11 hours of daylight, the major period lasted 3 hours, and the minor period was 1 1/2 hours. Major period had about 50% of pictures, minor period and no period each had about 25% of total pics, even though minor period only lasted 1 1/2 hours. I did enter all into a spreadsheet at the end of each year to make it easier to organize. Ill probably do it again next year just because its a fun thing to do!

Comment

Working...
                        X