No announcement yet.

Spring has sprung !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Don. That Blue one won't make it to the back of my property without a bulldozer to clear the way!

So do I need to spray the gly$^%^%$&$& stuff to kill everything before I disk and plant? Any differences in what you would plant there for a spring plot vs. a fall plot?

So after I seed, drag it with something?

Thanks for the info.

Do you run trail cams around your plots? Do you find that they enter and exit in the same places?

Comment

I would spray with the glyphosate from TSC, cheaper and does the job. Two to three oz. per gallon of water.

I would plant wheat for the fall with a small amount of Austrian Winter peas. About 1/4 peas to 3/4 wheat. I plant either soybeans or iron clay peas in the spring, but if all you have is a small area, the deer can eat them up before they get started. Where you are, I would expect that. From what I've observed working in that area, y'all have a higher deer density than I do here.

You can make a drag like I pictured above for a few dollars worth of chain, some old tires and 30 minutes worth of sweat. It does a good job in sandy soils

I do run trail cams. During the non-rut, deer tend to enter and exit in a pattern and in the same places, but during the rut all bets are off. Think about this; after you have a successful food plot for a few years, "your" deer have never known anything except that food plot. It's just part of the landscape to them, and a place they have eaten all their lives.

Comment

Good stuff. Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Had to take my backhoe today and clean up a little behind the timber cutters on my lease in Rusk Co. This is one of my iron clay pea plots, planted April 25th. Need some more rain !
          Attached Files

Comment

Drycreek have you ever planted strips of corn along your cowpeas? I have considered this several times but afraid the hogs will find the ears and destroy the fields

Comment

looks good!

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                Drycreek have you ever planted strips of corn along your cowpeas? I have considered this several times but afraid the hogs will find the ears and destroy the fields
                I tried to. They didn't wait for the ears, they ate the corn out of the ground the very first night. Went right down the rows ! Kinda funny now, but it wasn't then. It was all hand planted.

I don't have any luck keeping the hogs off any kind of grain. Before I started discing the wheat under before it matured, they were in that as soon as the heads ripened. I try not to do anything that attracts them. My next step is to get rid of all the feeders on my place except the one across the road from my cabin. It has a driveway alert on it and when it dings, they get a little helping of 6.8 SPC by way of ATN night vision !

Comment

Looking good Drycreek! I need some rain bad.

Radar, I haven't planted corn with cowpeas, but I did have a garden last year and the hogs decimated my corn when the ears got almost ready.

Comment

I planted a mix this year with sorghum in it. I already regret it being in the fields. The hogs dont know what it is yet, but I figure when it tops out they will. I hear hogs love sorghum.
                    Next year when I fertilize I will use the premix with herbicide in the fertilize. Over the past few years I started using Gly on most of my fields and have seen the hog rooting slow down. I think the Gly is killing off certain plants the hogs are after. But I do think planting corn would be an attractant for hogs.

Comment

I had sorghum in a dove plot last year and the hogs didn't mess with it. I don't have a hog problem either, but they did get my corn.

Comment

I got hog problems, they is a sounder that passes thru once week and does a little rootin and moves on. I guess that is the best I can hope for in Wilson county. I really slowed their activity by fencing in feeders and planting plots with stuff the hogs don't care about. Night vision on my AR helps too.

Comment

Ugh! Only got a trace of rain. Didn't even register on the weather station.

Comment

Went to my place today to spray behia grass. Checked on my pea plots. Already up about 1.5 ". The hogs even tried to eat them ! A little rooting in one plot, not too bad. I've been told that once the peas/beans/corn sprout, hogs will leave them alone. They've never bother 'em before at this place. I need rain too !
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thats what my fall plot looked like in one field, they even ate the T posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                                Thats what my fall plot looked like in one field, they even ate the T posts.
                                Man, keep them Wilson Co. hogs away from East Texas !

Comment

Working...
                                X