Putting out lime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Putting out lime

I have two questions. First I've heard that it takes 6 months to take affect. Is this true? Second is it better to disc it in after you spread it or just let it soak in? I need to put it out for my food plots this fall.

I does take a awhile to change the pH. MOST recommended analysis are for 6" of soil, Should say on the soil analysis. If you only disk up 3" you would not use as much lime, but have to lime more often.

How much lime are you needing to apply?

Comment

It does take a while just all depending on how often it rains after you put of the lime.

Comment

Don't know yet but its in east texas in a pine plantation so I'm sure the soil is pretty acidic.

Comment

Only way to know for sure is to take a soil sample and have a lab analyze it. Ph is no the only thing that needs to be corrected, the soil analysis will also tell you what kind of fertilizer to use based on what the nutrient availability is in your soil.

Comment

its goin to be messy, unless you can find someone to put down liquid for ya.

Comment

Originally posted by whitetailfanatic View Post
              its goin to be messy, unless you can find someone to put down liquid for ya.
              Yeah I put out powder one time and my throat was sore for weeks. Didn't use a mask. From then on I've always used pellitized lime.

Comment

Had mine checked in Hardin County. 4.9ph -103lbs per 1000sqft lime.

Comment

And expensive.

Comment

We have always spread lime and ferlizer and then chopped. I have a sugarcane farmer and Ag Chemical Account rep in my hunting group. and that is what they suggest we do.

Pelletized lime does not take as long and has worked well for us. It does take a lot and then once you get it leveled not as much annually.
                    Last edited by dbaio1; 03-05-2010, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Anybody got any prices for ag lime or the pelletized lime?

Comment

Eason, there is a place along the west loop here in Nacogdoches that says they sell ag lime. If I find out anything I will post back.
                        Last edited by Russ79; 03-09-2010, 11:22 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I know I wasn't hallucinating about this, but I went by the place during lunch and they didn't have the sign out that I have seen in the past about ag lime. The number is 554-2667 if you want to call them and check anyway.

Comment

I always think it is best to disc it in to prevent any rain runoff as well as getting it to the depth you want (root depth) quicker.

Ag lime is “dirt cheap” but, yes, it will take several months to see the effects. The individual pieces of ag lime are larger so it takes more time for it to break down and become usable. Ag lime usually requires a special spreader to apply or you can do it by hand.

Pelletized lime is more expensive and you have to put more down to get the equivalent of ag lime, but the results are seen quicker due to the makeup of the product. As I understand it, pelletized lime is a powder that is mixed with a bonding agent to create the pellets. The bonding agent breaks down quickly and leaves the powder to leach into the soil. Because it is a powder, it has more surface area and acts faster. Another advantage to pelletized lime is that it can be spread with just about any mechanical spreader.

Like Canny said, SOIL TEST. It will not only tell you where you where you pH is, it will tell you what other elements you need to amend your soil. Don't skip the lime and fertilizer or you are just wasting your money and time.

If you don't do a soil test, I'd recommend a generic application of ag lime right now at 2-3 tons/acre. When you plant, apply a 13-13-13 fertilizer at 300# per acre if you are planting oats or wheat. If you are planting a legume, consider using a fertilizer with less nitrogen.

I have some pine property that was in the high 4's and after applying 4 tons per acre over the last five years, I have been hovering around the mid to high 6's for about 2 years.

I have not had to put out in lime in the last couple of years, but I recall ag lime being about $40-50 per ton and that included delivery and spreading with a 6 ton minimum. If you can get a truck in there, this is the way to go especially if you have a large plot or several plots.

Pelletized lime I used on a small 1/4 acre plot was purchased at a local gardening center and was around $6-8 per 40# bag. If you are doing a small plot, this may be the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post
                              I know I wasn't hallucinating about this, but I went by the place during lunch and they didn't have the sign out that I have seen in the past about ag lime. The number is 554-2667 if you want to call them and check anyway.
                              Thanks, I will give them a call.

Comment

Working...
                              X