Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jack Brittingham's Rancho Encantado (review with photos)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jack Brittingham's Rancho Encantado (review with photos)

A few weeks ago, a friend and I hunted the bow pasture at the Rancho Encantado. Given the fact that we were the first hunters of the season and the favorable moon phase, we were pretty excited about our prospects.

As expected, the ranch is absolutely beautiful and very well maintained. The accommodations were above average. I especially liked the fact that the hunters’ cabin had a very cold air conditioner and a no windows. Needless to say we slept well.

ll.JPG

We hunted hard arriving out the blinds an hour before sun up and staying until around 11:00 a.m. And then returning at 2:30 or 3:00 and hunting until night.

The box blinds are very well made, however, they had windows which made noises when opened and shut. Also, the chairs were a bit noisy as well. The ranch manager recommended that we leave the windows closed until we saw an animal we wanted to shoot. As jumpy as the game was in the bow pasture, opening the windows without detection would be a difficult task.

blue.JPG

blue2.JPG

We hunted three full days. On the first day, I saw a very large Axis buck ($1,500—no thanks) and a large Russian Boar (there are no feral hogs anymore). As I opened the window, the buck ran off as did the boar, but the boar came back after a while. I would have shot him, but didn’t want to pay $1 per pound (for a dad gum hog).

blue3.JPG

The following days proved very slow as I saw the same group of Russians over and over again as well as some very young does and a few very young bucks. My buddy had the same results.

Overall, we had a good time and I got a lot of reading done (Flags of our Fathers is a great read). The cost to hunt is $150 per day and bucks are $500.

After one of our hunts, the ranch manager took us to Brittingham’s hanger where his office was located and showed us a nice 8 that was found dead in the bow pasture. So, I am sure there are some great bucks in that pasture, but I think they are extremely wise.

I think it is a great place to try out for the chance of harvesting a great South Texas buck.

At least you had a good time and saw some animals.

Comment

You forgot to mention the 90+ temps with the closed blinds.

Comment

Indeed. The temperature soared to the high eighties. The inside of the blinds were just north of 140 degrees with the windows closed. Do NOT go there when it is warm.

Comment

I have always wanted to hunt Rancho Encantado. What are the rules on what bucks you can take? I wonder when it fills up as far as bookings go.

Comment

"The ranch manager recommended that we leave the windows closed until we saw an animal we wanted to shoot. As jumpy as the game was in the bow pasture, opening the windows without detection would be a difficult task." quote

guess that is one way to help keep the animal numbers in check....J/K!

I am sure yall had a great time, thanks for sharing!

Comment

Heath,we hunted the bow pasture which is a sliver of property that buffers the main ranch and the road (I believe it is about 500 acres or so--maybe more). It starts to book in March or April and spots fills pretty fast as they only let a few number of hunters on for the whole season and only allow three hunters to hunt at any given time.

It was hard hunting to say the least. The animals were very well aware of the blinds (as you can see in the pictures, they are not hidden very well) and as they approached the feeders, they would stare into the windows and frequently look up to make sure the windows were closed. On one occassion, I ever so slowly opened a window without making too much sound. A small buck looked directly at the open window and bolted.

You can shoot any buck you like (any age or score) and pay $500.

I probably will not go back as I will hopefully have a lease next year and I just don't really care for day hunting operations (personal preference).

Comment

Thanks for the info. I like to hunt day leases and I try to go on at least one hunt a year. Can you move stands or setup your own? Sounds like you can not and I will never hunt a day lease that I have to hunt their stands. I always setup my own stuff no matter how well they look.

Comment

They will not let you move from your stand nor place any other stands anywhere. Pretty strict.

Comment

Heath, if you should lets say ease directly past the feeder area you will be looking at the next fence over....its not as far away as you would think.

I would also recommend a pass, there are funner day hunts to be had IMHO for the same daily price with no kill fee.
                    Last edited by DaveC; 11-16-2006, 12:01 PM.

Comment

I tend to agree with DaveC.

Comment

More work needed at Jacks Ranch?.

Sounds OK the blind are rifle blinds in a bow pasture HMMM?????

for that kind of money you need to be equipped with bow blinds elevated at that

I hunted Claude Pollington Ranch in Michigan with Ted Nugent and Claude hand made Teflon hinges for the window that open QUIETLY The floor had carpet and under lines so there was no sound as you moved around each had a bed to snooze on all day hunts

sounds like my friend Jack need to pull his boots up a notch.

Thanks for the feedback

BTW This is the correct design for windows in a Bow blind

Tink

Comment

Tink, funny you should mention that, blind #3 (If I remember correctly) has a Mercedes Benz logo in the window frame 2x4 from at least 3 years ago (it was semi fresh when I hunted it). The chair was too low so at full draw you had to eyeball the arrows path before releasing, without hiking your rear up some arrow to window frame contact was going to occur.

Some poor soul had one heck of an experience when his arrow didn't leave his bow but half way when he tried to let it go- I hope it wasn't carbon......

The bow pasture seemed to be the ranch managers extra money maker on the side of the main operation. There is no doubt in my mind that the animals we saw on the first year I was there were captured and turned back to the main pature between seasons. There were some good ones in there that first year though.....

Comment

I hunted w/ Dave two years in a row and my b-n-l killed a 158" buck the first year. Two that he saw in the same stand I saw the next year , but they were over the high fench in the big pasture. We didn't rebook this year.

Comment

Thanks TINK

Comment

Working...
                              X