Chicken & Dumplings Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken & Dumplings Anyone?

Looking for a good Chicken and Dumpling recipe. Anyone wanna share?

I have been wanting to make some myself so I did some looking at several recipes on other web sites. This one really looked and sounded good but I haven`t tried it yet. It is a recipe from Paula Dean.Let me know if you try it and how it turned out. The recipe was on the Foodnetwork web site.There is a video of her showing you how to make it if you want to watch it.

Ingredients
    Chicken:
    1 (2 1/2-pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
    3 ribs celery, chopped
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 bay leaves
    2 chicken bouillon cubes
    1 teaspoon House Seasoning, recipe follows
    1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed cream of celery or cream of chicken soup
    Dumplings:
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    Ice water
    Directions
    To start the chicken: Place the chicken, celery, onion, bay leaves, bouillon, and House Seasoning in a large pot. Add 4 quarts of water and in water and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer the chicken until it is tender and the thigh juices run clear, about 40 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pot and, when it is cool enough to handle, remove the skin and separate the meat from the bones. Return the chicken meat to the pot. Keep warm over low heat.

To prepare the dumplings: Mix the flour with the salt and mound together in a mixing bowl. Beginning at the center of the mound, drizzle a small amount of ice water over the flour. Using your fingers, and moving from the center to the sides of the bowl, gradually incorporate about 3/4 cup of ice water. Knead the dough and form it into ball.

Dust a good amount of flour onto a clean work surface. Roll out the dough (it will be firm), working from center to 1/8-inch thick. Let the dough relax for several minutes.

Add the cream of celery soup to the pot with the chicken and simmer gently over medium-low heat.

Cut the dough into 1-inch pieces. Pull a piece in half and drop the halves into the simmering soup. Repeat. Do not stir the chicken once the dumplings have been added. Gently move the pot in a circular motion so the dumplings become submerged and cook evenly. Cook until the dumplings float and are no longer doughy, 3 to 4 minutes.

To serve, ladle chicken, gravy, and dumplings into warm bowls.

Cook's Note: If the chicken stew is too thin it can be thickened before the dumplings are added. Simply mix together 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 1/4 cup of water then whisk this mixture into the stew.

House Seasoning:
    1 cup salt
    1/4 cup black pepper
    1/4 cup garlic powder
    Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

Yield: 1 1/2 cups

Next Recipe
    More recipes? Try these recommendati

Comment

Another good one is to make dumplings with cornmeal and when you make your soup add a can of rotel, cream of mushroom, some garlic and a litle bit of cumin; gives it a mexicanish flavor.

Cornmeal Dumplings:
      1 cup cornmeal
      1/4 cup flour
      1ts baking powder
      1/2 tsp salt
      2 eggs
      1/2 cup buttermilk
      1 Tb melted butter
      1 jalapeno diced
      2 Tb cumin

Mix all into a dough, drop by the spoonful into the soup, let stem/cook covered for at least 20 minutes

You can't mess up chicken and dumplings.

If you are going more traditional, try using cresent roll dough, cut it up in 1" pieces and drop in, add a buttery flavor. YUM

Hard to mess up chicken and dumplings.
      I think I am going to cook some now

Comment

You owe it to yourself to try this one. Its more a mexican chicken and dumplins but it is a house favorite

Chicken breast – I buy one package, with some fat for flavor

Cream of chicken soup – I use 2 to 3 cans

Cream of mushroom – I use 1 or 2 cans

1 lb Velveeta Mexican cheese – mild

Chicken broth – ½ to 1 cup

Tortillas

I boil the chicken and set it aside to cool.

In the pot, I put the soups and broth, amounts depend on if you like it creamy or thinner, and add the cheese in chunks so that it melts faster. When its warmed up enough to melt the cheese, add the chicken.

Cut the tortillas up in about ½ inch squares. (Amount depends on your preference). Add those, and continue to simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.

Comment

This is the simplest chicken and dumpling recipe I've ever seen.

I buy a whole chicken, usually pre-cut up, but you can get one intact, just cut up before cooking. You need the whole chicken for the full range of light and dark meat as well as the fat that comes with it, that's where the flavor comes from. For dumplings, I use Pilsbury bisquit dough, one can of the homestyle buttermilk, and one car of the "butter tastin'" style.

Put chicken in pot with salt and pepper, nature's seasoning, and some garlic pepper. Fill with enough water to cover the chicken then a tad more. Boil for at least 45 minutes, an hour if you can.
          When done boiling, pull chicken pieces out and shred meat off of the bones, leave the remaining water on the stove boiling and toss the meat pieces back in as you go.
          Now, get the bisquits out and tear each bisquit into 3 or 4 pieces, 4 if you want smaller dumplings, 3 for bigger ones. As you tear them, roll them tightly into balls and roll them on a plate with some flour to coat them.
          When they're all made into balls and coated in a light coat of flour, put them all in the pot of already boiling water, trying to get them all in there as quickly as possible. Make sure they all go under the water, they will float back up, but as long as they get dunked, you're fine.
          Cover and boil for another 10-20 minutes, depending on how fluffy you like your dumplings....the longer they cook, the fluffier they will be. 10 mintues is minimum, preferalby 15, or they some of them will still be dough and will turn to mush. Do not uncover until you are ready to pull it off the stove or they will disolve and you'll have mushy chicken soup.

Comment

oh hail........... I hope these are gonna be in the cook book???!!!

Comment

We make them exactly like txfireguy but we add milk to the broth. It is wonderful.

Comment

Ive had some real similar to above, but still the best for me is my grandmas recipe below...

Funny...we just made this TODAY...

I buy a big pack of drumsticks...14-16..

Layer large pot with chicken (push em down tight).....put enough water in to just cover legs..bring to low boil and cook for about 20 min....

Make 1st Crown and Coke

Remove legs...(keep water).. separate chicken from bone...put chicken in fridge while you work on cuttin the dumplings...

Add 16 ounces or so of Chicken Stock (More is Ok) and bring back to slow boil I usually add Salt/Pepper to taste at this point...You can add any other herbs or spices if you prefer. (we don't)

Freshen up 1st Crown and Coke

We use the 4 pack of Pillsbury biscuits (Not the Big Cans, but the packs that come wrapped together)..cut biscuits up in halves or thirds and add to water..make sure to push down dumplings and coat them all so they will separate..Cook dumplings down for about 20 min or so on a LOW boil.

Check out TBH while wife watches dumplings and fixes your 2nd Crown and Coke

After dumps are pretty well cooked add chicken, more stock if needed and cook for about 20 more minutes, or until thickness is where you want it...(add milk at this point to thicken, usually about 1/2 cup)

Serve with a few slices of cheddar cheese, and some buttered bread...

Follow with some homemade Blackberry Cobbler and a big scope of vanilla bean blue bell...
                Last edited by Bullydog; 11-18-2009, 09:07 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

All kinds of ways to make good dumplings. We mostly use young cat squirrel. As for all that flour rolling and mess making, try "Mrs Bee's". In the frozen section at kroger's,brookshire Brothers. Best dumplings I've ever eat. And no mess

Comment

If you like them at camp but don't have the time to make em from scratch, here's a pretty decent quick version.

store bought rotisseire chicken
                    store bought butter flavored flaky biscuits in the can from the cooler section
                    carton of low sodium chicken broth
                    couple of stalks of celery
                    a little butter

Pull the chicken off the bone and shred. This can be done at home and stored in zip lock bags for later use prior to the hunt.
                    Heat chicken broth in large stock pot.
                    Chop celery into fine cubes.
                    Add shredded chicken to the broth.
                    Once it begins to boil, open the cans of biscuits and tear them into little pieces (I don't like fat dumplings). I usually pull apart into layers before tearing.
                    Drop the biscuit pieces into the boiling broth mixture one a time and stir them all up.
                    Once they start cooking good, lower the heat a little and continue to cook for about 15 minutes, stirring very often .
                    I add a little black pepper and a little poultry seasoning as I go along. You usually don't need extra salt.

Quick filling meal after a cold hard day of hunting. Not GrandMa's homemade dumplings but dang good when you're hungry and tired.

Comment

Originally posted by GR5 View Post
                      All kinds of ways to make good dumplings. We mostly use young cat squirrel. As for all that flour rolling and mess making, try "Mrs Bee's". In the frozen section at kroger's,brookshire Brothers. Best dumplings I've ever eat. And no mess
                      Oh yeah!!!!!! Substitute that chicken with some squirrel!!!!!

Comment

My brother uses canned bisquits but they taste like bisquits.
                        This is how I do mine.

1 bag leg quarters
                        1 box bisquick

Take one bag of leg quarters and boil until falling off the bone.
                        Pull meat out and let it cool.
                        Pull meat off the bone and strain the broth.
                        Put the meat back in the broth.
                        Look on side of bisquick box and mix up a batch of dumplings.
                        Before adding dumpling add a good bit of black pepper.
                        Take a tea spoon and scoop out a small spoon full of dough and drop in (no rolling or cutting). After spooning in quite a few spoons then lightly stir.
                        Repeat until all the dough is in the pot.
                        Let simmer for awhile.
                        The dumpling will have a lil of the dough to dissolve it will make like a thick gravy.

The best dumplings I've ever had!!!!! Dumplings are light and fluffy.
                        Last edited by switchback; 11-19-2009, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Correction... Mary Dee's, not Mrs dee's

Comment

Originally posted by tpack View Post
                            I have been wanting to make some myself so I did some looking at several recipes on other web sites. This one really looked and sounded good but I haven`t tried it yet. It is a recipe from Paula Dean.Let me know if you try it and how it turned out. The recipe was on the Foodnetwork web site.There is a video of her showing you how to make it if you want to watch it.

Ingredients
                            Chicken:
                            1 (2 1/2-pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
                            3 ribs celery, chopped
                            1 large onion, chopped
                            2 bay leaves
                            2 chicken bouillon cubes
                            1 teaspoon House Seasoning, recipe follows
                            1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed cream of celery or cream of chicken soup
                            Dumplings:
                            2 cups all-purpose flour
                            1 teaspoon salt
                            Ice water
                            Directions
                            To start the chicken: Place the chicken, celery, onion, bay leaves, bouillon, and House Seasoning in a large pot. Add 4 quarts of water and in water and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer the chicken until it is tender and the thigh juices run clear, about 40 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pot and, when it is cool enough to handle, remove the skin and separate the meat from the bones. Return the chicken meat to the pot. Keep warm over low heat.

To prepare the dumplings: Mix the flour with the salt and mound together in a mixing bowl. Beginning at the center of the mound, drizzle a small amount of ice water over the flour. Using your fingers, and moving from the center to the sides of the bowl, gradually incorporate about 3/4 cup of ice water. Knead the dough and form it into ball.

Dust a good amount of flour onto a clean work surface. Roll out the dough (it will be firm), working from center to 1/8-inch thick. Let the dough relax for several minutes.

Add the cream of celery soup to the pot with the chicken and simmer gently over medium-low heat.

Cut the dough into 1-inch pieces. Pull a piece in half and drop the halves into the simmering soup. Repeat. Do not stir the chicken once the dumplings have been added. Gently move the pot in a circular motion so the dumplings become submerged and cook evenly. Cook until the dumplings float and are no longer doughy, 3 to 4 minutes.

To serve, ladle chicken, gravy, and dumplings into warm bowls.

Cook's Note: If the chicken stew is too thin it can be thickened before the dumplings are added. Simply mix together 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 1/4 cup of water then whisk this mixture into the stew.

House Seasoning:
                            1 cup salt
                            1/4 cup black pepper
                            1/4 cup garlic powder
                            Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

Yield: 1 1/2 cups

Next Recipe
                            More recipes? Try these recommendati
                            I finally tried this last night and it turned out really good. You could use a little less water(I had to thicken it with cornstarck and water) . I also put a can of cream of chicken and cream of celery each .It also needs a little more salt than the recipe calls for.I thought it was really good for my first attempt .

Comment

Working...
                            X