Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking a chicken in Masterbuilt recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking a chicken in Masterbuilt recipe?

Hey guys, will be around the house this weekend and wanted to get the electric smoker out.

I have never brined or smoked a bird. So what is your favorite recipe? Brining method? Temp and time?

Thanks in advance.

Basic is better IMHO when I smoke hard bird.
    I just go heavy on the season salt and pepper. Let the chicken form a good "smokey crust" on the skin and that will really help seal in the moisture. Probably 225 for a few hours. No written procedure for me, just til it looks right and the internal temp is reached.

Comment

remove the backbone and lay it out flat. i think it cooks a little more evenly and definitely a bit quicker (less time to dry out).

Comment

Mix about 1/2 cup of kosher salt per 3 cups of water for brine. Brine over night. Remove bird from brine and pat it dry. I like to let it air dry in fridge uncovered for couple hours. Season however you want at this point. I smoke chickens at 275* until internal temp is 165*. Takes 2.5-3hrs. I prefer to spatchcock the chicken when I smoke them. You can run smoke on it the whole time. You won't over smoke it in 2.5-3hrs. Did one this way last weekend, turned out great!

Comment

Originally posted by ANSCAG View Post
          Basic is better IMHO when I smoke hard bird.
          I just go heavy on the season salt and pepper. Let the chicken form a good "smokey crust" on the skin and that will really help seal in the moisture. Probably 225 for a few hours. No written procedure for me, just til it looks right and the internal temp is reached.
          No wrong way but I pretty much do it like this. I also go the beer can or "drunk chicken" rout. I maybe do it closer to 275, and don't be afraid to cook it a long time. I use a Traeger or a Primo, but it's chicken so it's not rocket science!

Comment

I was reading elsewhere where guys are cooking them at higher temps to crisp the skin and keep it from getting rubbery? Have any of you experienced this

Comment

I use sea salt and brown sugar for my brine. Let sit for 24hrs or so. Rinse real well and then add seasoning of your choice along with some olive oil. I also will use an injection sometimes. My cook time is normally 5hrs at 250-275 just depending on how cooperative the pit is.

Comment

Working...
              X