Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 San Angelo surrounding area season thread.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats

Comment

Originally posted by 125Dad View Post
      I had him at 330

Good deer Jack. Happy for you.
      I heard someone else got a buck recently

Comment

Yes I got ol Joe. Don’t score much 126 7/8” with 32” of mass
        But he has a really cool story with him.

The story starts opening day last season. I hunted with jack at his stand for a old 10 (Timmy) well when Timmy came in Joe was with him Joe left after Timmy took a wrong step and got stuck with a slick trick. Joe moved on to my set up and I seen him almost every hunt and I promised him I would reunite him and Timmy
        Last edited by 125Dad; 12-15-2019, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Picture of ol Joe
          Attached Files
          Last edited by 125Dad; 12-15-2019, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 125Dad View Post
            Yes I got ol Joe. Don’t score much 126 7/8” with 32” of mass
            But he has a really cool story with him.

The story starts opening day last season. I hunted with jack at his stand for a old 10 (Timmy) well when Timmy came in Joe was with him Joe left after Timmy took a wrong step and got stuck with a slick trick. Joe moved on to my set up and I seen him almost every hunt and I promised him I would reunite him and Timmy
            👍👍
            He’s going to look good on the wall next to his running buddy.

Comment

2019 San Angelo surrounding area season thread.....

Pic of the pair last yr as “Timmy” ten walked down death row. That’s avg “joe” on the right
              The pic is a little deceiving because of depth but Timmy was the bigger deer score wise, joe had a pretty massive body but rutted down really hard last yr.

Comment

So nice of you to reunite them!! Nice deer congratulations!

Is there a good story to the shot and tracking job? Just wondering seen the dog in picture.

Comment

Coleman county was slow as all get out this weekend. We did have a bang up duck hunt Friday morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by red-fin View Post
                    So nice of you to reunite them!! Nice deer congratulations!

Is there a good story to the shot and tracking job? Just wondering seen the dog in picture.
                    Shot was high and back. He just never bleed I watched him stumble a little and walk off. Me and Jack was certain he was dead tracked pin drops of blood for about 100 yards backed out and called Matthew McWilliams and Jock took him about 15 minutes and another 275 yard walk and Joe was sleeping peacefully.

If there was a good shot story would not have a dog in picture (lol) now as far a a good dog tracking story Matt and his dog was amazing worth every penny to just watch his dog work.

Comment

Don’t be walking around God’s country without growing any brows...... penalty -death [emoji41]. Yes that’s two holes... and yes there’s a story I’ll tell after cleanup [emoji23]. All on video.

Did catch him on Covert in mid mule kick after the second arrow went through him. .. which was cool too

Comment

Congrats Jason, will be at lease starting tomorrow mid day through Monday.

Rwc

Comment

Congrats again, Jason.

Comment

Do tell Mr Smart.....

I have a buck that looked exactly like him last yr, this yr he grew one small brow and his frame got slightly bigger. He is a scrapper and broke the side with brow off right at the brow.

Comment

I posted this on the Menard/Mason thread but i'm kinda in between there and y'all so I figured I would put it here too.

I took my boys to our lease in Fort McKavett this weekend. Deer movement was good on feeders and great on our hand corn spots. We filled 2 of our 3 remaining doe tags. I brought the boys home Sunday evening and headed back solo Monday morning.

I had some pics of really good bucks hitting our hand corn on 3 of our 4 chum spots. Of course the north wind was wrong for all 3. Playing it safe, I made the evening sit at a feeder I call the Creek feeder. It's on a mostly dry creek bed with thick vegetation, pecans and oaks. My first visitors were 3 young bucks. All three had broken off their main beams on one side each which made it kinda weird. They eased off and immediately several axis does and a few young axis bucks moved in. I never turn down a shot at an axis so I started to prepare myself. A nice 8pt joined the mix and was dogging a doe fawn all over the place. I finally picked out the biggest bodied axis buck and made a good quartered away double lung shot on him. After a short 40 yard track he was headed to the skinning rack.

Tuesday morning I hunted the Pond Chum and filled our eighth and final doe tag. This was kind of a priority as doing so gets me 2 extra buck tags. I'll be taking the boys back after Christmas to fill those. The evening hunt was at my Northwest Feeder. I had a fawn in early and a mature 110" 8pt late. About the time I decided to take him he left.

Wednesday morning the wind finally switched out of the West. It is what I was waiting on. It was switching back north every so often so I decided to go back to the pond chum as I didn't want to bugger up the other chum spots with the big bucks showing up. My truck said it was 9 degrees and I only made it until 8am before bugging out. No deer seen.

Wednesday Afternoon. Wind is finally West though slow. I opt going to my Northeast Chum. This is a new spot I hung in October and was getting pics of some awesome bucks. My 15yo killed a really nice 123" 8pt off of it in November.
                              I get in at 1:30 pm. The cameras had the deer showing around 4:30pm. At 4:23 a young 8 pops up and starts feeding on the corn. At 4:25 my number one hit list buck pushes him off of the corn at 18 yards. My stomach goes up into my throat, my heart goes into overdrive. I've never had a buck this big in front of me in my 40ish years of hunting. I slowly grab my bow and ease into position. He lifts his head and looks the other way. I draw. He bolts!(Dang no wind) I die a little bit. As it happens, this is my first sit in this stand as my boys have hogged it all year. When I was sitting there early I ranged a bunch of spots. This saved the day. He ran in a tight circle and stopped by a clump of cactus I had ranged at 35 yards. I wasted no time splitting my 30 and 40 yard pins on his vitals and tripped the release. I watched the Rage Hypo tipped GT arrow fly true on a perfect quartered away double lung shot. He bolted and I just turned to jelly. I waited 30ish minutes, lowered my stuff down and took up an easy 60 yard trail to this magnificent beast. I can't quit looking at him. I had 2 pics of him in October. He started showing up again last week. About once every 3 days. This was his first daylight showing. He is a mainframe 11pt. He taped out at 157 6/8". His teeth show 6-7 years old. His live weight was 140. I'm on cloud 9! What an awesome few days in the woods we have had.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Very nice, Gunswayne.

That is one cool buck...He has some character on him. I like that bladed main beam.
                                Congrats on the kills.

Comment

Working...
                                X