Install ultra Sous vide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install ultra Sous vide?

I’ve been reading about Sous vide on here for a long time now, and have been dying to try it out.

After a little googling this morning, apparently my wife’s instapot has a feature where you can set the temp and time! I’ve got a steak in right now, set at 130 for 3 hours, I’ll update around lunch time.

Title should say instapot not install... I hate auto correct
    Last edited by klooney; 08-18-2018, 07:53 AM. Reason: Auto correct sucks!

So my wife bought a three pack of these ribeyes last night. I cooked two yesterday how I normally would on a grill, tasty for sure.

I started the last one this morning around 9, in a zip lock bag with salt, pepper, and a pat of butter. I set the instapot at 130 for 3 hours, then seared in a screaming hot pan about 30-45 seconds a side—-and holy crap!!

Guys and gals, this steak was easily 3-4 times more tender than the ones we had last night, and super juicy as well.

2 thumbs up from me on sous vide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by klooney; 08-18-2018, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Man, I've been tempted to try it. Looks good

Comment

I use my Anova religiously. Those instant pots look pretty dang handy!

Comment

I didn't know my Instant Pot would do that. I'm trying it tonight!
          Thanks klooney.

Comment

Congrats. Welcome to the sous vide secret society.
            It’s the only way I cook venison anymore except for chicken fried steaks.
            Try saving the butter for the sear step it doesn’t take the heat well in the bag.

Comment

Originally posted by Randallc View Post
              I didn't know my Instant Pot would do that. I'm trying it tonight!
              Thanks klooney.
              Do you have an “ultra”?

Comment

Originally posted by kck View Post
                I use my Anova religiously. !
                Anova is the one we have as well. I was eating by myself last night so I went to H-E-B and picked up an 8 ounce Prime 1 beef tenderloin. I did 129* for 75 minutes and seared on all sides in Avocado Oil. Might have been the best piece of beef I’ve ever cooked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Sous Vide salmon is pretty fantastic as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Picked up a 17ish oz bone in ribeye, that will be taking a sous vide bath this evening!

Comment

You can do the same thing in an ice chest and an infrared temp gun. That’s how I do mine. Also, with a steak that thin you don’t have to leave it in there for 3 hours. It’s probably at the 130 mark in about 90 mins. Thicker cuts would probably need longer. I learned this experimenting with it quite a bit. Makes it easier for impatient hungry folk like myself

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
                          You can do the same thing in an ice chest and an infrared temp gun. That’s how I do mine. Also, with a steak that thin you don’t have to leave it in there for 3 hours. It’s probably at the 130 mark in about 90 mins. Thicker cuts would probably need longer. I learned this experimenting with it quite a bit. Makes it easier for impatient hungry folk like myself
                          It probably was done in 90ish minutes, but I had the time, and I was cool with the longer cook time

Comment

Just be careful with cook times. A cut like that you probably were around the max time I'd go, otherwise you'll start to notice a texture change. All cuts are different, but most steaks I don't go over 2 hours.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by klooney View Post
                              It probably was done in 90ish minutes, but I had the time, and I was cool with the longer cook time

Comment

Working...
                              X