What happened to this buck???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened to this buck???

Not sure what happened to this buck over the last 3 year. He went from a nice 8, to a crazy one side, and now both sides are crazy. I don't have Tapatalk so I can only post 1 pic at a time. Here he is st 4.5.
    Attached Files

5.5 years old
    Attached Files

Comment

This year st 6.5.
      Attached Files

Comment

Don't know what happened to him, but I'd be happy to shoot him for you.

Comment

They say all deer hit their peek at different ages, wonder if he is starting to decline on the antler development.

Comment

I guess its possible he has had skeletal injures back to back years that healed up well but jacked up his rack....other wise I don't know but he looks real cool.

Comment

He looks really old in the 5.5 yr old pic. Was he sick or injured during the rut? Using whole cottonseed?

Comment

Just curious as to why you asked if he is using whole cottonseed?

Comment

You know your herd, but in a general sense of what is known about whitetail body conditions at various ages, nothing about the first pic looks like a 4yo to me. And he looks post-mature in the 5yo pic. It could be that he's a few years older than you're thinking, and he's just declining.

Comment

Originally posted by sweldo73 View Post
                    You know your herd, but in a general sense of what is known about whitetail body conditions at various ages, nothing about the first pic looks like a 4yo to me. And he looks post-mature in the 5yo pic. It could be that he's a few years older than you're thinking, and he's just declining.
                    Agree with this...he looks super old to me in the "5.5 yr old" pic. He might be much older than you think.

Comment

I've been watching him since he was a 2 yr old 8 pt. I'm pretty sure of his age and he has always been a regular at my stand. We do feed whole cottonseed, but I'm not sure what that has to do with it. I have not notice any signs of distress with his body the last couple of years. He is a big body deer and probably weighed around 250 on the hoof when he was 5.5.

Comment

He is fighting his running buddy in this pic from the end of November last year. He did relocate for a while after this pic so I'm not sure if anything happened. He's back to his regular routine now hitting my feeder every morning and afternoon. He looks healthy this year though.
                        Attached Files

Comment

How can you be sure that the "4.5" buck is the same "5.5" buck?

Comment

Originally posted by spro View Post
                            Main thing is his brows and his running buddy. He has hung out with the same 10 pt since they were 2 years old. They show up every September together for the last 5 years. Plus after 25 years of hunting the same place, I've gotten pretty good at recognizing deer year after year.

Comment

Originally posted by spro View Post
                              I have often asked myself this same question of the deer that I perceive as the same deer from last year. Can a deer's characteristics change so drastically from one year to another, positively or negatively (horns/body/whatever), that you get them mixed up? I tell myself no but at the end of the day we are just making a very well educated guess.

Comment

Working...
                              X