Leakey area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leakey area

I'm on a new lease just north of Leakey. I haven't had a chance to do much scouting. Please help a bro out! When do they typically start rutting in this area? I'm not sure what to expect. I am hoping to get out this weekend and the next.
    Thanks for any info.

I have hunted near there a few yrs ago. I shot a bit 8 point 2 year ago that was rutting big time! It was the 2nd week in November. I rattled in 6 bucks in a hour from one strand. This was 5000 acres that no one hunted. It was awesome. Lots of exotics too. I even saw them chasing in January. Doe in heat worked well too.

Comment

What road is your place off of? Generally it's after Thanksgiving weekend- at our place north of Leakey we love mid to late December for the whitetail rut. Especially with this year’s bumper acorn crop, things really start to pick up, right about meow..... Good luck in God's country

Comment

What ranch are you on? Where we are there are not many big whitetail, but some BIG aoudad and some big axis.

Comment

Christmas time is a staple at the place I get invited to in Camp Wood. The rut is on Christmas week and see all kinds of bucks. I would imagine Leakey would be about the same seeing as how that's not far north of Camp Wood.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. It is on 83 just past the bridge north of town. I hope to be there the next 2 weekends, so I was hoping the timing would work.

We have feeders going. Haven't seen much on game cams. Pics my buddy had from last year had audad, axis, and WT. WT mainly small but one nice buck.

Thanks for the help. Good luck!

Comment

I was south of Leakey from Wed to Sunday last week.

It was the slowest I've ever seen it up there.

The next 10-12 days are typically the best times to be in the woods for that area.

Good luck

Comment

So family duties have once again necessitated a delay to my hunting plans for this weekend. I am still hoping to go next weekend. Any updates for the Leakey area?

Comment

Beautiful area up there.

Comment

Ill be south of Camp Wood for the next 7 days starting this afternoon. If I actually have any cell service ill try to update on deer movement. From what little ive heard, all season has been SLOW. Hopefully they get frisky like always in the next week or two.

Comment

Keep an eye out for Bears
                      Mary has video of one eating out of a feeder down in that area

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
                        I was south of Leakey from Wed to Sunday last week.

It was the slowest I've ever seen it up there.

The next 10-12 days are typically the best times to be in the woods for that area.

Good luck
                        ^^^this^^^

Comment

I'm about one hour north of you. Gonna walk to tripod. IT IS COOOOOLLLLLDDDDD!!!!!!!

Comment

Been horribly slow in Uvalde... Seen one deer in 6 sits. Feeders nope, moved to trails and hand corn... Nope

Comment

Just up the road in Rocksprings. Rut is ON.

Comment

Working...
                              X