RV Air Conditioner Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RV Air Conditioner Help

Hunting partner and I picked up a nice 2001 Layton RV that is in great shape except for the AC. Essentially the fan will come on and then after about 5-7 seconds the compressor will kick in and then pop the breaker. I am no expert but I have checked the capacitors and they are holding a charge. I have also switched out the 20 amp breaker. No major wasp nests or anything like that on top. Any suggestions??? Next step is a new AC unit if I can't figure this out.
    Thanks!

Cheap window unit did it for me...lol

Comment

Originally posted by odogg View Post
      Cheap window unit did it for me...lol
      That is definitely an option!

Comment

Those rv ac units are not that expensive, and easy to install. Did you check actual capacitance on the caps? some multimeters have capacitor test capability. Does it have a start cap and relay?

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
          Those rv ac units are not that expensive, and easy to install. Did you check actual capacitance on the caps? some multimeters have capacitor test capability. Does it have a start cap and relay?
          I just really tested the general capacitance with a cheap meter. Anything past that is beyond my very general knowledge of these AC units.

Comment

Have to ask.. are you plugged into a true 15-30 amp outlet... or are you using a 110v adapter.

Comment

You said 20 amp breaker. Don't most RV ACs require at least 30amp?

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
                You said 20 amp breaker. Don't most RV ACs require at least 30amp?
                this

or get you the start capacitor kit and install it, they sell on ebay

Comment

I have in the past had RV ac's lock up on me if they have been setting for awhile. In some cases I have been able to free them up by massaging them with a hammer on the outside of the casing. If you hear it humming then trip most likely this is the case.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                    Have to ask.. are you plugged into a true 15-30 amp outlet... or are you using a 110v adapter.
                    Yes, hooked up to a true 30 amp outlet.

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                      this
                      This is the original breaker that is in the camper...was working on this. Looked up the specs on the AC and it only pulls around 15-17 amps.

Comment

With a 20amp breaker?

Comment

The easiest thing to do if you feel comfortable is to disconnect the compressor at the terminals. You need to be sure you label them so you know where they go when you hook it back up. Then try to start it. If the breaker still trips you know you have a wiring/electrical problem. If everything stays running you know the compressor has some internal issues. You can also check the terminals to ground to see if the compressor is shorted to ground. Please be sure you disconnect all power and feel comfortable before tearing into wiring.

Comment

Gotcha. I thought you replaced the breaker that you were plugged in to.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                              With a 20amp breaker?
                              I stand corrected...I believe it was a 30 amp breaker.

Comment

Working...
                              X