No announcement yet.

Protein on small acreage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have 80 acres and have 2 protein spots. The bucks come in force during antler growth time, and are plentiful during bow season. Once the gun season starts they get leery of the gun fire and are seen less. On our place it has made a big difference from year 1 to now feeding protein. Do it if you can, and def have water close by.

Comment

Soybeans are 30+protein corn is-10 protein so with them numbers a 50/50 mix would be 20 protein...I can only think Roasted Soybeans don't lose any protein in Roasting...

My Bro farms hundreds of ac of soybeans and corn..I get some corn from him (storage is my problem)..One year he said he had a couple barrel of soybeans (from Combine clean out) if I wanted ..Well I took them and mixed with corn in feeders..ground was covered with Soybeans and all Corn eaten...After evey rain I had a patch of soybeans..So I concluded Deer/Hogs don't like raw Soybeans...
      I have considered trying Roasted Just ain't got to it ...But This Year when I change Deer Leases I will....

Comment

i've got 100 acres and i just started feeding protein this year... holy crap they are hammering it. i can't keep the dang thing full.

Comment

One way to find out. Protein is underrated as an attractant, in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by hammer63 View Post
            Not to derail or be argumentative but, I feed 20000# through two timed feeders every year and that's certainly more than just an attractant.
            yep the 6.5 tons I fed through one hammer timer on small acreage last year was just an attractant

Comment

Originally posted by tbgascorer View Post
              Timed will be straight attraction then. You'd do just as well feeding corn and $5 a bag cheaper.
              I beg to differ. I feed out of a timed protein feeder which keeps my loss to coons and birds at a minimum. The protein head can hold up to 75lbs of protein and can feed up to 6 times per day if I so choose. It also allows me to know when I need to go back and fill up the feeder, never being out of feed in between fill ups. For me the benefits of feeding timed far out weigh feeding through a gravity feeder.

Comment

Originally posted by tbgascorer View Post
                Timed will be straight attraction then. You'd do just as well feeding corn and $5 a bag cheaper.
                Sorry fellas, I took it as spin timed. Trough type is certainly helpful. Carry on.

Comment

Interested in this. We run two feeders about to do protein this year. Thing I run into here is we are surrounded by farm area so lots of leftover corn etc and they don’t alway push to feeder or plots.

Comment

I've got two (2) 1,000 lb. protein feeders on 120 acres. They keep it cleaned out when the acorns and food plots are used up.

Comment

Tried protein one year on our 1200 acres. Never saw a difference from the year before with corn/apple scented.
                      We also tried dried split peas (looked like black eyed peas) in one of our feeders one year. The feed store said the deer would stand in line to eat it and all the ranchers were doing it there. Figured I would try it because of the higher protein level.
                      Saw fewer deer at that feeder than I did at my corn feeders.

Comment

One of the biggest factors I would consider is what kind of hunting pressure exists around you? If it is minimal I would not be afraid to assume the expense, but if pressure is heavy I would most likely not do it unless I could establish a coop with the surrounding land owners to jump on board with the plan

Comment

I have 180 acres and feed protein, rice bran, and have corn feeders throwing.

Comment

Originally posted by Darton View Post
                            One of the biggest factors I would consider is what kind of hunting pressure exists around you? If it is minimal I would not be afraid to assume the expense, but if pressure is heavy I would most likely not do it unless I could establish a coop with the surrounding land owners to jump on board with the plan
                            But if you are the only one feeding protein and there isn't much pressure at all around you, would it be beneficial to feed protein? Are you really going to see a difference if you're the only one feeding it?

I guess it would all depend on what your main goal was?

What are the main advantages of feeding protein on small acreages vs. just feeding rice bran/corn or another attractant? How expensive is protein compared to other feeding products?

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
                              But if you are the only one feeding protein and there isn't much pressure at all around you, would it be beneficial to feed protein? Are you really going to see a difference if you're the only one feeding it?

I guess it would all depend on what your main goal was?

What are the main advantages of feeding protein on small acreages vs. just feeding rice bran/corn or another attractant? How expensive is protein compared to other feeding products?
                              IMO it is beneficial to protein feed small acreage. Pellets have more minerals than most other supplemental feeds. This will give the deer a better chance to develop their antlers to full potential. You may not notice a difference at first, but over time you will see a difference on your regular visitors.

A bag of protein will cost you approximately double what a bag of corn will. But you don't have to feed year round to see benefits. Some people only feed February - September. Costs me $2,000 - $3,000 for year-round feed on 118 acres.

Comment

Something that I've not seen mentioned on this thread yet so I'll give you my $.02. It also helps does and fawns. Does seem to be healthier and if you have healthy does it is my opinion that the fawns benefit.
                                Over the past few years I have feed protein from free choice feeders and have seen an increase in the amount of deer I see. Still have not killed a 130 but I've had them on camera and they seem to stick around until I start hunting them. I think that a camera on the feeder helps identify bucks year to year.
                                I've got pics of bucks at my protein feeders that I've never seen at a corn feeder.
                                I hunt 130 acres with 2 600 lb. feeders and 3 corn slingers.

Edit: I also plant food plots as a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                                X