No announcement yet.

Blue indigo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ran into one this weekend while at the lease near Catarina. Around 6’. Hopefully he was hungry. Ran across a big rattler later about 100 yards from the indigo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

saw one on chambers ranch about 6 years ago,, over 9' for sure and very thick! saw a second one there about 2 years ago, little fellow only about 6'-7',, watched him crawl into a bush and mice went everywhere!

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
        Shame we haven’t been able to “document” some of these stories.
        The official record is “only” 8’4”. I got a buddy down south who has measured two over 10’.
        Coolest snakes in Texas.

2nd is the coral, but they are tiny in comparison.
        Otherwise a lot similar except color.
        Coral Snake facts:

Coral Snake Diet: Coral snakes are carnivorous and like a diet of other reptiles and snakes (even other coral snakes).
        No deaths from a coral snake bite have been reported since 1967 when the antivenin was developed.

Comment

I saw one while hog hunting in Cotulla several years ago. I have no idea how long it was, but it was the biggest snake I have ever seen in the wild. I have caught rat snakes between the 5 and 6 foot mark, and this thing dwarfed them.

Comment

This topic has borderline "multiple cougars all over my ranch" potential.

Comment

I didn't get a chance to measure the last one I saw, but my PaPa was with me, and I can assure you if he says it was 12 feet long, it was 12 feet long. It was right next to a Ford F150 short bed and some very simply quick math reflected the beast to be at least 2.5X bed size. The man does not lie. And DO NOT call him a liar, lest you face a goodly beating.

Comment

Never have seen one. Biggest snakes we have here are bullsnakes. 8'4" is the maximum recorded length for a bullsnake.

I don't suppose it's even legal to catch a Indigo Snake in Texas is it?

Comment

Probably 8' long. It was crossing Hwy 693 south of Bracketville. Just south of the Humphreys/LaFonda ranch.. It was a monster..

Comment

years ago my boss caught a "small" 6 footer near Laredo, and was teasing me about how he released it into the cab of my work truck. That was the longest drive for me back to San Antonio...

Comment

I caught this one in South Texas a couple months ago. It had to be close to 7 feet long. Beautiful creature. I couldn't believe how strong it was. I let it go unharmed after picture. Was never aggressive towards me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is the biggest I ever saw and caught. I lived on the 777 Ranch a few years ago and this one was in the front yard. it was a cool September morning and the snake must have been cold cause I just walked up, put my daughter's play garden rake on the back of its head and picked it up. Yelled for my wife to come outside and she promptly did, then ran back in the house. Took some coaxing to get here to come out and take the pic. Im guessing this one is over 6 as I am 5'10 tall.

As I held the snake it must have absorbed some of my body heat, because when I set it back down, it was really aggressive and chased me for several feet.

We had several around our house in the 5'-6' class including one that lived under the hot tub.
                        Attached Files

Comment

The largest I've personally caught was right at 7'.

First for my wife.
                          Lesto!!

Comment

Working...
                          X