(Texans Against) High Speed Rail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
    I may be one of the few but I think the US is lacking public transportation. I'd take the rail to make it to my parents house in half or less time it would take me to drive. Heck I could have a lease with friends down there hop the train and ride with them to it. Cut 4-5 hours off the trip for way less then it would cost to drive.
    Clearly in the minority with you but I like the idea. The trains in Europe are incredible and easy. This stuff should have been done decades ago. I hate it for people who own land and would be adversely effected but as a whole I think it is great. Especially for the slow nervous drivers clogging up the passing lane.

Comment

Think of it this way.... We fuss and complain all day on here about land owners and how they treat people on their hunting leases. Think of all the leases and property owners on this site and how it will affect their hunting lands. A 4 mile wide swath will be generated constructing this thing. Roads re-routed, bridges built, roads removed from service..... They are going to build an overpass on our property. So all of the dirt needed to build this thing is going to destroy our crop that year(s). Our Private mile long driveway will have to be re-routed because of the overpass so... we have to loose more cropland for them to build us a new road. Who is going to replace the income that is generated from our crops and cattle. Who is going to replace the funds spent on now buying hay for our cattle since they have destroyed current grazing land.

Couple of other points:
      1. You cannot discharge a weapon within 1 mile of this thing. So, now I cant hunt my own private property???
      2. I am an officer of a privately funded volunteer fire department. We collect $0 dollars from tax monies. How is this going to affect our departments response times, additional call volume during construction, access to the construction sites, mass casualty events?? Who is going to pay for this?? Our current donating families and farmers who are going to loose their incomes as well??

Comment

Originally posted by Pkripper View Post
        Clearly in the minority with you but I like the idea. The trains in Europe are incredible and easy. This stuff should have been done decades ago. I hate it for people who own land and would be adversely effected but as a whole I think it is great. Especially for the slow nervous drivers clogging up the passing lane.
        Gotta be somewhere for the pickpockets to work too....

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
          Is that a typo? Or is everyone also going to be dealing with a sonic boom every time it gets going faster than the speed of sound?
          Just being a wise arse!

Comment

Originally posted by Chef View Post
            The information on this site is outdated and incorrect. This original path created in 2014 was west of our property. The current route is approx. 1.5 miles east of its original path.
            Where is the latest route posted?

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
              Runs from Houston to Dallas. Stops in Bryan, and goes 3000 mph?
              you can tell I approve this rail system!

Comment

Originally posted by Pkripper View Post
                Personally I would rather hire more po po to police 45 for slow drivers, and add a driving lane in each direction, on existing ROW, then add a rail road. Can probably do it for 1/10th the cost too.

That being said, I think it would be cool to get to Dallas or Austin or San Antonio in under 2 hours in a business sense, but the train is not going to be used for tourism. Most would much rather hop in a truck with the dogs and wife and drive.

Comment

I've got land on both sides of the proposed route. I'm sure it will affect me somehow.

Comment

I don’t get why they can’t just put it underground and solve all the issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

does anyone have an updated map on the route.

Comment

Originally posted by buckybill View Post
                        does anyone have an updated map on the route.
                        I *think* this link is it:

View detailed county and segment-level maps of the Texas Bullet Train alignment. These maps reflect ‘Preferred Build Alternative A’ as outlined by the Federal Railroad Administration in their Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS), released on December 15th, 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                          Personally I would rather hire more po po to police 45 for slow drivers, and add a driving lane in each direction, on existing ROW, then add a rail road. Can probably do it for 1/10th the cost too.

That being said, I think it would be cool to get to Dallas or Austin or San Antonio in under 2 hours in a business sense, but the train is not going to be used for tourism. Most would much rather hop in a truck with the dogs and wife and drive.
                          For arguments sake say your traveling from Houston to SA or Austin.

You say under 2 hour trip on the train. Lets highball the trip in a car taking 4 hours on the road.

Then factor in the 30 minutes it took you to get to the train station from your office/house. Then factor having to get there an hour early from boarding/security lines.

Upon arrival in either city you then have to get transportation to your destination. Say 30 minutes in a cab/Uber.

When its time to come back home its pretty much the same time frame.

This isn't efficient time wise at all.

Comment

Any explanation on this? I think it could help alot of familys
                            Originally posted by 150class View Post
                            Feel free to chip in on the land that will be lost to many family’s also!
                            People that don't own land don't know what it's like to lose land.

Comment

Looks like it will be a couple of miles east of me in South Grimes County, so theoretically wont affect me. But how any red blooded American not be against the forcible taking of land for a non essential scheme is beyond me. I truly feel for those affected by this, forcing the sale of land is still theft.

Comment

I may be one of the few but I think the US is lacking public transportation. I'd take the rail to make it to my parents house in half or less time it would take me to drive. Heck I could have a lease with friends down there hop the train and ride with them to it. Cut 4-5 hours off the trip for way less then it would cost to drive.
                                I agree with the public trans is needed, but a 300mph bullet train that will impair this much land is WAY overkill.

Comment

Working...
                                X