Twist rate recommendations on 7mm Rem Mag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Twist rate recommendations on 7mm Rem Mag

I am about order a 24" stainless sporter contour match grade barrel from Pac-Nor that will be fitted and chambered to my Rem 700 action.

Pac-Nor order form recommends the 5 groove with either a twist rate of 9" or 10" for the 7mm Rem Mag. This is outside my area of knowledge and am looking for some advice.

Which of the two would you recommend for a 24" in this caliber shooting 160 gr pills 100% of the time. Typical velocities running between 2900 and 3100 fps.

This is a hunting rig and will be used for under 300 yards 99% of the time.

Thanks in advance,
    David

Found this for you...

1 in 9" Twist Rate: 160 - 175 grain bullets, minimum barrel length 26 inches for maximum performance and accuracy.
    1 in 9.5" Twist Rate: 140 - 160 grain bullets, minimum barrel length 24 inches for maximum performance and accuracy.
    1 in 10" Twist Rate: 115 - 140 grain bullets, minimum barrel length 24 inches for maximum performance and accuracy.

Comment

1-9

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
        1 in 9" Twist Rate: 160 - 175 grain bullets, minimum barrel length 26 inches for maximum performance and accuracy.
        1 in 9.5" Twist Rate: 140 - 160 grain bullets, minimum barrel length 24 inches for maximum performance and accuracy.
        1 in 10" Twist Rate: 115 - 140 grain bullets, minimum barrel length 24 inches for maximum performance and accuracy.
        Hmmm this brings up an interesting situation. I like a 24", the factory barrel I have now is 24" and shoots the 160's just fine. Its a 5 shot group on a quarter all day long in a vice. I'm not nearly that consistent of a shooter.

They do offer a 9.5" it as just not highlighted as a recommendation. I will probaly call them and talk after reading this.

Thanks for the data.

Comment

I just had my 7mm-08 rebarreled by them a few months ago. I looked at the order form and for what it's worth they did mine with a 5 groove 9" twist (I use 140 grain bullets) . I had corresponded with Cajun Blake about it prior-to (he's the one who recommended Pacnor in the first place) and he told me to give them the information on the bullet weights and how I'll be using the rifle, then take their recommendation. CB's knows a TON about gun and ballistics so if he gives you advice you'd do well to listen. I haven't shot it since I got it back because I then took it and had it cerakoted, but I know it's gotta be a helluva lot better than that crap Remington uses now.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
            I just had my 7mm-08 rebarreled by them a few months ago. I looked at the order form and for what it's worth they did mine with a 5 groove 9" twist (I use 140 grain bullets) . I had corresponded with Cajun Blake about it prior-to (he's the one who recommended Pacnor in the first place) and he told me to give them the information on the bullet weights and how I'll be using the rifle, then take their recommendation. CB's knows a TON about gun and ballistics so if he gives you advice you'd do well to listen. I haven't shot it since I got it back because I then took it and had it cerakoted, but I know it's gotta be a helluva lot better than that crap Remington uses now.
            Yep, CB is where I learned about Pac-Nor a year or so back
            Another reason I am asking is I have a ton of load work up on the 160 pill and pleased as punch in the terminal velocity I am getting.
            Last edited by dbaio1; 07-17-2017, 03:11 PM.

Comment

The fat pills need more help so the more stabilization the better. 1:9

Comment

Originally posted by dbaio1 View Post
                Yep, CB is where I learned about Pac-Nor a year or so back
                Another reason I am asking is I have a ton of load work up on the 160 pill and pleased as punch in the terminal velocity I am getting.
                That's funny. After he told me about them I found a ton of good reviews online so I felt good about the selection. Hopefully you can get it back before hunting season at this point. They had mine for a good 2 months, and that was in March.
                Last edited by Etxbuckman; 07-17-2017, 04:22 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                  That's funny. After he told me about them I found a ton of good reviews online so I felt good about the selection. Hooefully you can get it back before hunting season at this point. They had mine for a good 2 months, and that was in March.
                  I have another donor action I'm using for this build and then I'll send the action on my Magpul Hunter 700 LA setup to them later next year for a Noser 30 build but will go with 26" on that one.

Comment

Hmmm this brings up an interesting situation. I like a 24", the factory barrel I have now is 24" and shoots the 160's just fine. Its a 5 shot group on a quarter all day long in a vice. I'm not nearly that consistent of a shooter.

They do offer a 9.5" it as just not highlighted as a recommendation. I will probaly call them and talk after reading this.

Thanks for the data.

No problem! I have Browning 1885 High Wall single shot in 7 Mag with a 1/10 twist. It has a 28" bbl and shoots 160 and 145 gr. Speer Grand Slam hand loads very well. The best factory load is an old couple of boxes of 150 gr. Federal Premium that was loaded with Sierra Bullets at 3150 fps. I'm very tight with those rounds cuz it shoots darn near into the same hole. It's been a safe queen for several years now because its too pretty to be a truck gun. I'm thinking about taking it out and letting the old girl put a thumping on something this year.

Comment

I'd go with a 1:9 twist. A little extra won't hurt and will help if you decide to stretch it farther. In a hunting bullet I'd rather have more than not enough, it's not like you have to worry about the jacket coming apart or splash with todays 160 grain pills. Plus should you decide to try the new 175 or 180 grain bullets out there, you will be okay with a 1:9 but no more.

Additionally, if I'm going to shoot a 7 mag with it's recoil I'm getting all I can from it which means a 26 inch barrel. Having said that, I think the good ole 7RM is as good as it gets in the world of magnums. There are bigger and faster but it's a darn near ideal package.

Comment

Thanks for the data.
                        D,

Call Chris @ PN and discuss your project as he will take care of you. $600 will get your action trued, and a SS select match grade barrel chambered, crowned, and threaded onto you action.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                          D,

Call Chris @ PN and discuss your project as he will take care of you. $600 will get your action trued, and a SS select match grade barrel chambered, crowned, and threaded onto you action.
                          Thanks CB appreciate it.

Comment

At least the 1-9" twist. You wouldn't be wrong to go with a 1-8".

LWD

Comment

Each gun is different of course we all know that. I was out shooting mine this past weekend it has 1:9.25" twist and I was using the 162 ELD-x factory loads from Hornady and it was barely getting 1 moa at 200 yards and I know that rifle is definitely capable of better groups that that.

Comment

Working...
                              X