Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pigs to feed the Hungry

May be a long read
    My daughter decided she knew too many hungry kids at her school, and wanted to do something about it. She decided we could kill an endless amount of pigs on a lease we have in Red River county, and could have the meat donated. She has made arrangements with the Fort Worth Hope center, to accept all that we harvested. My problem is that we have had too much rain there since September 2018, to get set up and start hunting. So I thought I would reach out to the TBH family for help. The Fort Worth Hope center will accept any donation of food products offered, including wild game. If you are interested in contributions of game, please let me know. I am in the process of setting up an account with CCR, to provide meat processing, so you are welcome to drop off your pigs with them and mention it is being donated to the Fort Worth Hope center, and I will take care of the procesing. You may also drop the gutted and skinned hog at the center itself, if you wish. They accept raw meat as well as processed.
    please be sure of proper handling and keep the game well iced. I will try to make arrangements with a processor south of the metroplex as well.
    Deer can be donated as well, but I think there is paperwork required if it is not processed, please keep that in mind.
    PM me if you would like to help.

Thank you for reading
    Bert

I would like to thank the great and prolific hog hunter FishnDude, for making the first donation!

Comment

Good on y'all!

Comment

Originally posted by BigDraw View Post
        I would like to thank the great and prolific hog hunter FishnDude, for making the first donation!
        He's alright. Ain't he

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BigDraw View Post
          Haha! Glad to help a great cause. It’s a shame there is such a need for this but there is.

Great work Bert and daughter.

Comment

For those of you that like to keep it simple, you can also just cut off the hams and blackstrap. These folks are appreciative of any donations.
            Thanks
            Bert

Comment

Very cool!

Comment

This is a great thread. Good on your daughter for wanting to help. Most people are blind to the extent of childhood hunger.

For those of us who want to help, but can’t provide meat... is there someplace we can donate money, to help with processing fees??

Comment

hey boss, Pm me the info , i smack hogs pretty much every time i go to the ranch and let them lay most of the time , as i only got so much room in the freezer . i would have no problems cutting out the hams and back-strap , icing them down and dropping them off on Sundays on my way home , i drive right through fort worth . Can't beat a better cause than this !

Comment

This is awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
                      This is a great thread. Good on your daughter for wanting to help. Most people are blind to the extent of childhood hunger.

For those of us who want to help, but can’t provide meat... is there someplace we can donate money, to help with processing fees??
                      If I had hogs I'd probably donate to a facility
                      My question is, how is it possible we have child hunger in America with all the programs we have for the parents of these kids?

Comment

Awesome. I had looked before, when we had more hogs than freezer space, but couldn't find any organization that would accept the wild pork. I hope this works out. It just makes so much sense, given that TX has too many nuisance hogs, and at the same time, families who can't afford to buy meat. My freezer is currently empty, but I would like to contribute once the hogs return to my place.

Comment

this is awesome, what a gal! Wish we had a similar setup in Leon County - I'll have to ask around to see if we do. I know there are plenty of adults and children going to the food banks there but not sure they accept or can accept hog meat. thanks for sharing

Comment

Bert, I’m going to tell you something you already know. Your daughter is a fine person!
                            She may want to go talk to a Civic Group or two to let them know about this program. There are women’s civics groups also. Maybe a hospital group of pediatricians or pediatric nurses to let them know of this positive effect on childhood nutrition. It will also help to have this experience of public speaking and she will make good contacts throughout the community. Now that I’ve gone on and on, is she 8 or 18?
                            Again, this is such a great idea she had.

Comment

Thank you all for the positive feedback. Doing This program made a lot of sense, she is trying remove an invasive and destructive species, and feed folks at the same time. She trying to figure out how to get the state to somehow sponsor the removal with the incentive to have the animal rendered and provided to a program that feeds the needy. A long shot I know, it will be up to us. She had reached out to every organization in the area, looking for someone that would accept wild game. The Hope center is affiliated with a church which allows them to be flexible.
                              Thanks for listening
                              Bert

Comment

Working...
                              X