Sunn Hemp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunn Hemp

I'm planning to plant Sunn Hemp this year. I would like to plant it as a border around my food plots and in a mixture of peas and beans in the food plots.
    The only source I have found is in Alabama at $90 plus $35 shipping for a 50 lb bag. Is there a feed store close to Houston that carries it?
    Thanks.

turnerseed.com

These are my go-to guys. Good service, free advice, fast shipping, in Texas. Just received my most recent order from them today.

Comment

I agree with Turner Seed. J is awesome and will be straight with you.

Comment

Thanks, guys. I called them today.

Comment

You bet. I'd like to see pics of those Sunn Hemp borders when you get to full growth.

Comment

Here's a pic of one of our plots from last spring. Sunn hemp, peas and sunflowers. Got the SH from Turner Seed, J is a great guy to work with. It will last long past the peas when the rain ends.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by drslonghorn View Post
              Here's a pic of one of our plots from last spring. Sunn hemp, peas and sunflowers. Got the SH from Turner Seed, J is a great guy to work with. It will last long past the peas when the rain ends.
              That's an amazing looking plot. Where is your place? Do you have really good soil? Again, Nicely done. I wish we could do something similar to this.

Comment

That is awesome!!! How did you plant it and at what Rate?

Comment

[QUOTE=bgleaton;11132553]That's an amazing looking plot. Where is your place? Do you have really good soil? Again, Nicely done. I wish we could do something similar to this

Thanks for the kind words. It's easy to be a "sodbuster " when the good lord blesses you with rain. We are west of Throckmorton, and we have sandy loam to work with. Here is another pic of one of our pea plots. I've enjoyed following your thread on your place, it reminds me of when we bought our place back in the 90's.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                    That is awesome!!! How did you plant it and at what Rate?
                    Seems like we put about 60-80 pounds an acre. We disced the fields,broadcast the seed with a spreader, then lightly disced the seed to cover.
                    We have tried spreading, then discing in, but doesn't seem to do as well.
                    Thanks for the kind words.

Comment

Seems like we put about 60-80 pounds an acre. We disced the fields,broadcast the seed with a spreader, then lightly disced the seed to cover.
                      We have tried spreading, then discing in, but doesn't seem to do as well.
                      Thanks for the kind words.

I am Assuming yall fertilized? Those plots just look amazing!!

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                        I am Assuming yall fertilized? Those plots just look amazing!!
                        Believe it or not, we didn't fertilize those plots, but we got very timely rainfall.

Comment

That's an awesome foodplot! How much of each seed did you plant per acre? Did your deer eat the Sunn Hemp?
                          Thanks for the reply!

Comment

Believe it or not, we didn't fertilize those plots, but we got very timely rainfall.
                            You need to change your name to ol green thumb!!!

Comment

[quote=drslonghorn;11132672]
                              Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                              That's an amazing looking plot. Where is your place? Do you have really good soil? Again, Nicely done. I wish we could do something similar to this

Thanks for the kind words. It's easy to be a "sodbuster " when the good lord blesses you with rain. We are west of Throckmorton, and we have sandy loam to work with. Here is another pic of one of our pea plots. I've enjoyed following your thread on your place, it reminds me of when we bought our place back in the 90's.
                              What kind of equipment do you use when planting? Just curious to see your set up. We want to start to do some fall food plots, but I'm not sure what kind of equipment we should use. We have the tractor, just have to figure out how we are going to plant.

Comment

Working...
                              X