Bexar County Bow Hunts 3/23-3/25/2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bexar County Bow Hunts 3/23-3/25/2012

Ok here is my review of our group hunt from 3/23-3/25. First off this was my first time going to a day lease, so i cannot say it was better than this or that. the hunters Bigmatt, Twizid +wife, Chootem, Apullin17, BowtechLefty, Art745 and a guy from austin now known as Creepy Dude...1100 acres.

We roll into the place around noon on friday passing a sign that says "Bubba Land". Get to the lodge and unpack. The lodge is great with sleeping quarters upstairs and 2 bathrooms, 4 showers.
    Friday evening we wonder into Hog heaven a 85 acre pasture for hogs. Set up in popblind by a corn tube with a hoglight. Chootem needs a 4WD i was gonna go push. I have about 6 turkeys coming in around 6:30. Then around 7:15 a large sized Axis doe comes in walks around the feeder area for about a minute plenty of shot dang if i had only paid for an Axis hunt could have had her at 25-30yds. Next we meet up for a spot and stalk and take a walk down the main road in hog heaven...who's scared of the dark??? WE cant ever catch up with the hogs, so we call it a night. Go back and have some steak for dinner.

Couple of us get a wild hair and decide to go back and try an ambush style night hunt. WE can hear the dang hogs muching on the corn right around the bend, Chootem gets up comes to full draw, i stand up "snap" broken twig and the hogs scatter..... This happens i dont know about 3-4times... that night game is hard man.....call it quits about 1:30am. That is a heck of rush when your waiting then all of sudden you hear a big snort come from behind you. I;m pretty sure Chootem wet himself....

Saturday i dont go on a morning hunt. Twizid goes for a walk and jumps a small pack of coyotes. One makes a fatal flaw of looking back and then gets a heavy dose of Rageitis.. We decide what the plans are going to be for the evening hunt....that takes all of about 5hours....lol We eat some lunch/dinner
    Bigmatt cooking.... Finally i set out to a lone tripod about 2 miles away from anyone else.....up on a small mesa...
    Dang i got the best spot it has a tree branch for everything.......So i'm here sitting 10' up in this tripod and i can hear the animals moving. When i spot a Axis buck about 35-40 yds. He seems young eating some bluebonnets. He stays for about 20mins. http://s904.photobucket.com/albums/a...ent=Video9.mp4 So i'm text and surfing the green, when out of the corner of my eye i spot movement in the brush about 50 yards out....Dang looks like rams.....so i text Chootem and tell him i found his rams. No sooner then i send i realize that isnt a ram its a spotted pig FND's favorite...i think. Crap calm down lets see if she comes in....heart thumping...yep coming into the hand corn and Pig out i threw out. Is she 25-30 yrds...now i realize why people have rangefinders ....get some quick video on a Flip vid. Calm the nerves if i miss everyone is gonna ride me like a cheap bike.... 20yd pin or 30yd pin? Gap shot, if i miss FND gonna be mad already made fun of me for taking pictures of the bluebonnets....She never turns completely broadside, so i opt for a neck/back shoulder shot...Come to full draw get dialed in....slowly everything is calm not a thought in the world. Then gently squeeze the trigger, the nockturnal fires up like a rocket engine. It travels quick like a comet flying across the night sky leaving a red streak.......Thwack!!! right in the neck ahhh thats gotta hurt. One big squeal and a few kicks and thats it.....does take a single step..

Great i'm miles away from everyone and i have to load her alone. Up on the Polaris....and away i go...

Chootem and myself...
    One thing i learned about skinning a hog was dont touch the hernia if it pops out right by your buddies face and think you can push it back in.....sorry about that Chootem....your a** face now......

All in all it was a great time. Very Green. I think i put in about 16 hours of actual hunting time....I listened to what Mr. Todd said and took his advice and in the end it paid off......there is more to the story but thats it for right now....Had a blast and will go back soon!!!!!!

Forgot
    Mathews Drenalin 64lbs 29"draw
    Beman ICS hunters
    Rage 2 Blade
    Cameron Crested Wraps

Comment

Right on brotha, we needa get another trip together sometime.

Comment

juneish.......??

Comment

Originally posted by art745 View Post
          juneish.......??
          Whenever, I'm right here in nw sa so I only got a 20 minute drive to castroville so pretty much just need the heads up to when to make sure I can fund it.

Comment

Good chooting fellas !

Comment

Seems like it was a great time! Congrats on the porker!!!

Comment

Awesome !! way to go !!! how did the others hunters do ? Did they spot any big axis while out there ? -

Comment

Originally posted by takoma View Post
                  Awesome !! way to go !!! how did the others hunters do ? Did they spot any big axis while out there ? -
                  No we didn't have anyone hunting the Axis...

Comment

Great write up Art, i had a blast even though didnt find my turkey.Maybe I'll have better luck next week while I'm back out there. I'm ready for our next visit out there in June.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Nice write up Art. Had a great time out there meeting some fellow TBH's. Made a bad shot on a hog, but thats how it goes sometimes. Look forward to hunting with yall again sometime. CHILLI DOOOGGGG!!

Comment

Great write-up Art!

Takoma, I was chasing axis but sightings were few and far between. It's just too green and they have a ton of land to hide in. They were not coming in to feeders, at least that was my experience.

I saw lots of turkeys but they just wouldn't cooperate with me! I was able to do a midday stalk on a group of pigs near a creek bed in some knee high grass. I got a shot off but couldn't find my arrow or the pig....not sure what happened?

I had fun with you guys and look forward to doing it again! If any of you guys....Matt, Art, Travis, Brad or Arron want to shoot some hogs let me know and we can run down to my lease in Frio County! We are loaded with them!

Comment

thanks bowtech lefty ! - curious about them axis

Comment

I hadnt even gotten to Chootem and I and the night stalk on sat till 2:00am.....2 misses...

Comment

Working...
                              X