Feed the deer for everyone else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feed the deer for everyone else?

Me and my dad have been having a discussion. First of all, we are lucky to own 63 Acres in the beautiful YO Ranch. Now the question is, should we feed protein with the possibility of never shooting the bucks we are feeding?
    We keep corn in the feeders year round but I was thinking of adding some protein feeders to the area and making a couple of plots in our property.
    His concern was why would we feed them protein just to have the neighbors shoot a bigger buck..

Its always a possibility but its also a possibility that buck decides there is food water shelter and does here why go anywhere else or why not come back here every morning.

Always a chance just like the other guys by you if they feed protein. You keep food,shelter,water and does on your land higher chances of the bigger bucks sticking around.

Also if everyone proteins everyone gets the benefits they may shoot your monster this year and you shoot theirs next year. They are deer they travel. Heck high fence bucks get out and people shoot those

Comment

I would. It's more of a labor of love than anything but heck who knows. Might get one protein hog hanging around and after a few years you can gather your new insight on it and tell us all about it. Plus from what I hear Axis deer really love protein. Just a bonus for that area.

Comment

You are probably shooting deer others have fed.

Comment

Always worth the risk. Pouring the feed to them will keep them hanging around and you get the same benefits your neighbor does.

Comment

I was thinking about this exact thing. Just got 31 acres in rock springs area

Comment

Get a timed feeder for a small place

Comment

Every time a 300 mag goes off near your fenceline, you'll wonder if the protein hog you've been feeding just took a dirt nap...

IF you can tune that out and be okay with others benefiting off of your pocketbook, then it go for it. True, it can and will hold more animals close to you, but they still will travel regardless of your prime cover, food, and water resources.
                Last edited by tbgascorer; 05-05-2016, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntsman1998 View Post
                  I was thinking about this exact thing. Just got 31 acres in rock springs area
                  With the axis deer you have, you're crazy if you don't start feeding protein and alfalfa!!!

Comment

Yeah. If everyone was feeding protein I'd be ok with it. But I know my surrounding neighbors aren't. Just straight up corn. Also what's best way to feed protein? We have a huge number of hogs

Comment

Also, we have 63 acres but we are in a 15,000 acre parcel. No one has a high fence within those 15,000 acres.

Comment

If you don't want hogs then put hog panels up.

I would feed protein no doubt, especially with the variety of animals

Comment

Working...
                        X