Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
    Dumb question but how does gar taste?
    It's actually pretty good. Has a good texture.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Ive been looking at cajun fishing equipment for my bow.. I see a lot of alligator gar while bass fishing and I could definitely get into it

Comment

Originally posted by Sotexsmokin View Post
        I agree with you nothing worse for our sport. I would like to see a Bowfishing stamp help make some revenue to eventually provide fish disposal stations for bow fisherman. Either way there is. I excuse for dumping of fish and I turn in/ self police everyone I catch in the act.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Not going to happen, TPWD has history of crapping on bowhunters and the CCA wants it all for themselves. Doesn't mater what the science or numbers say, TPWD is going to take care of the CCA.

Fish disposal: take a carpet knife and shred the outer skin of the fish and return the protein back the fishery.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
          Not going to happen, TPWD has history of crapping on bowhunters and the CCA wants it all for themselves. Doesn't mater what the science or numbers say, TPWD is going to take care of the CCA.

Fish disposal: take a carpet knife and shred the outer skin of the fish and return the protein back the fishery.

Unfortunately, it seems rational to me but this method is not legal in Texas.

Comment

Duggins is appointed, not elected, right?

Comment

They are in decline, I do feel they will be on the protected list and rod and reel catch and release will be the only legal means before long.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                Dumb question but how does gar taste?
                It is awsome! Only fish I know of that holds its texture and taste good even when cold. Go buy some at a fish market. More expensive than catfish last time I bought it.

Comment

I am glad to see this being seriously discussed. I also like the idea of creating a revenue stream and tag system. Let the market curb in the over killing and weed out bad actors, while at the same time not preventing anyone from enjoying a beloved sport.

I am tired of seeing their wanton killing, sounds like a lot of people are.

Comment

TPWD And alligator gar

Unfortunately, it seems rational to me but this method is not legal in Texas.

Since when??? I had a GW tell me to slit them open and dump them in the middle of the lake as long as it wasn’t grass carp!

Also, is that just alligator gar, or all gar, such as spotted and longnosed????

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                    Last edited by Bisch; 05-02-2018, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                      Since when??? I had a GW tell me to slit them open and dump them in the middle of the lake???

Bisch

It’s under the wanton waste

Comment

TPWD And alligator gar

It’s under the wanton waste

Ok, so that would only apply to the gar then. It would not be illegal to slit and sink carp (as long as not grass carp)correct?

Also, is that just for alligator gar, or all gar, including spotted and longnosed???

Bisch

Last edited by Bisch; 05-02-2018, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Against new licensing/tags for this.

Don't take something I already have the right to do through my lifetime fishing license and start charging me for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                            Ok, so that would only apply to the gar then. It would not be illegal to slit and sink carp (as long as not grass carp)correct?

Also, is that just for alligator gar, or all gar, including spotted and longnosed???

Bisch

To my understanding it is game warden discretion but can be applied to any species of fish.

Comment

They can not guarantee the survival of a released fish therefore should be regulated the same. The fish often swim off and die with the 4 ft of steel leader and a hook in the gut left behind. There is a low survival rate due to methods/means used to catch them. They gut hook them and drag them in literally by their insides. Stressing the fish and puncturing internal vitals after they have swallowed the bait.
                              I pick up what you're laying down. I think this is where you are gonna run into issues. Proving that catch and release has the same mortality as bowfishing.

Good luck in your efforts.

Comment

Tba

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                                Against new licensing/tags for this.

Don't take something I already have the right to do through my lifetime fishing license and start charging me for it.
                                That’s just it. He’s suggesting that unless we can create a financial incentive to continue allowing bowfishing for gator gar or elect someone with the sense to can Duggins you’ll likely have that right taken away along with the rest of us.

I wish the TBA had a large enough membership to make a difference. Thousands of bowfishermen will likely lose their rights at a constant rate as long as this idiot (Duggins) is around.

Comment

Working...
                                X