Henry vs Marlin Lever gun advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Henry vs Marlin Lever gun advice

Trying to decide on a lever gun looking between these two. Kind of leaning towards the Marlin for more flexible cartridge selection like the 35 Remington and 308/338 Marlin Express. Would most likely get the Henry in 45/70 (want a "different" caliber than a standard 30-30).

Thanks in advance

The newer Henry's have lost a step or two, IMO. Love my older one in .45LC. Newer one in 30-30 has a really gritty trigger. Never been around a Marlin. Can't help you there.

Comment

If you get a Marlin get an older pre Remington buyout JM stamp on barrel is what I have always heard. They had a time period of rough transition But have heard good things about the ones on the shelves now.

I have older Marlin in 30-30 and now a newer one in 45-70 looking at the Henry octagon barrel in 357 next.
      Last edited by justintyme8303; 12-25-2016, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Check out marlinowners.com

They hate hate hate any remington made marlin, including the current ones

I'd get a Henry or an old Marlin (pre 2008ish I believe)

Comment

Marlin. Not crazy about the loading system on the Henry.

Comment

If you with a Marlin, get a pre-Remington. It will increase in value, where folks can hardly give away the newer ones. Plenty of gently used Marlins that still look new.

35 Rem is a great choice

Comment

If I were choosing a gun from each/either brand, it would be a Henry big boy in 357 mag and a Marlin guide gun 45-70.

Comment

I lean towards older Marlins. I won't own a new or later built. Henry's versions don't appeal to me at all.

Comment

Originally posted by justintyme8303 View Post
                  If you get a Marlin get an older pre Remington buyout JM stamp on barrel is what I have always heard. They had a time period of rough transition But have heard good things about the ones on the shelves now.

I have older Marlin in 30-30 and now a newer one in 45-70 looking at the Henry octagon barrel in 357 next.
                  I was probably going to go with a new Marlin, didn't know they were bought out. I'll go fondle a few and see the differences.
                  Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                  Check out marlinowners.com

They hate hate hate any remington made marlin, including the current ones

I'd get a Henry or an old Marlin (pre 2008ish I believe)
                  Do the Henry's come in any of the odd calibers or do they stick to the "cowboy" cartridges and pistol calibers?

Comment

My father sometimes uses his Marlin 308 express.
                    The gun is very accurate, but the bullet rarely makes it all the way through the offside hide on deer / pig kills.
                    It does kill, we just prefer two holes over one.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                      Marlin. Not crazy about the loading system on the Henry.
                      Thats one of the selling points for me with the Marlin

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                      If you with a Marlin, get a pre-Remington. It will increase in value, where folks can hardly give away the newer ones. Plenty of gently used Marlins that still look new.

35 Rem is a great choice
                      Do you know how the performance of the core-lokt and leverevolutions is on deer?

Originally posted by Fishy View Post
                      I lean towards older Marlins. I won't own a new or later built. Henry's versions don't appeal to me at all.
                      Are there any quirks or years that you know of that I should steer clear of. Also what are things to look at on used lever gun?

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
                      If I were choosing a gun from each/either brand, it would be a Henry big boy in 357 mag and a Marlin guide gun 45-70.
                      The only thing I'm not sure of on those is the straight stocks I like the curve/grip of the Marlins.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                        My father sometimes uses his Marlin 308 express.
                        The gun is very accurate, but the bullet rarely makes it all the way through the offside hide on deer / pig kills.
                        It does kill, we just prefer two holes over one.
                        Is this on "far" shots or typical lever range? Shooting straight through the shoulders or behind? Also what projectile is this?

Comment

On some late or new Marlins, there are still quality control issues. Look at the wooden forend for even reveals and shaping. Some don't have an even bluing on the receiver and barrel. Receiver will be one shade and barrel something else.

Comment

Originally posted by QACZ71 View Post
                            Do you know how the performance of the core-lokt and leverevolutions is on deer?

Are there any quirks or years that you know of that I should steer clear of. Also what are things to look at on a used levergun?

The 200gr Corelokt is all you'll ever need with the 35 Rem. The Leverevolution is possibly is a little flatter shooting but once you see what the plain ol 200gr Corelokt is capable of you'll see there's no need to get fancy with it. Heck if anything, I'd handload the Speer 180gr pointed flat point. Tough enough for 35 Whelen velocity but a little flatter shooting.

On the older Marlins I would just look at the exterior for faded bluing or putting. Try to avoid that because there's so many out there you can afford to be picky. The wood should not be damaged, cracked, or loose fitting. Grain is generally plain but there are some beauties out there.

The most common thing i see on older Marlins that might get worn and need replacing is the lever catch. Otherwise, make sure the sights are original or are an upgraded set, metal and wood in good condition, and as best possible use a flashlight to check the bore. Most lever guns shoot at such
                            moderate velocities that barrel wear is generally minor if any.

Comment

Here's something to wet your whistle

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1681.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	24477535

Comment

Working...
                              X