Best 223 hunting round?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best 223 hunting round?

I've had a couple guys shoot wt with a HP. Both hit the shoulder and blew it up but the deer ran away.

I use a 64 gr PSP (lead tipped soft point) and never had any problems.

Have I been getting lucky or is the soft point the best round?

I like the soft point Winchester

Comment

I'm trying these. No shot yet!
      Attached Files

Comment

Any work fine. But then again with the .223 I am head shooting does or pigs.

Comment

Are you guys using .223 on deer for youth or is this your only option? I don't want to start a argument, just curious.

Just to add something to the original question; I use 55 grain v-max varmint express in my 10" sbr while hunting at night. That bullet has done well on everything from trash-panda, fox to large hogs.

I use a LeHigh Controlled Chaos bullet in a similar setup in a different caliber and have had good luck as well. They make a .223 bullet but I have never tried it. Downside may be lack of blood trail if the shot is not perfect.

Comment

Nosler Partition.

Comment

Just like any other caliber on any other large game(except more important on small/fast calibers), use something that will stay together and penetrate....not what an hp was designed for. A hollowpoint is great for varmints but horrible for large game unless your gonna earhole em. Not a big fan of ballistic tips on the small ones either unless the rest of the bullet will maintain mass.

Comment

I have a .223 that has probably killed at least 30-35 does. Every deer I’ve taken has been a head shot and I shoot Black Hills 52gr HP. I generally use this gun if I’m out for does (or doe, whichever way you prefer it) but have other plenty of other guns if I’m looking for a shoulder shot. People have been killing deer with a .223 for many years.

Comment

My kids have killed a truck load of animals with a .223 (Fusion 62 grain N.P.) when they were younger. It is a very good all around cartridge for that caliber. Matter of fact, Breck killed 2 pigs after school last Tuesday with his .223 shooting Fusions 62 grain) while I was filling feeders.

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
                    Are you guys using .223 on deer for youth or is this your only option? I don't want to start a argument, just curious.

Just to add something to the original question; I use 55 grain v-max varmint express in my 10" sbr while hunting at night. That bullet has done well on everything from trash-panda, fox to large hogs.

I use a LeHigh Controlled Chaos bullet in a similar setup in a different caliber and have had good luck as well. They make a .223 bullet but I have never tried it. Downside may be lack of blood trail if the shot is not perfect.
                    I use them. I let kids use them also when I feel they are scared of bigger guns recoil.

I recommend adults and older kids use a 243 or larger though.

Comment

Haven't shot many with 223 but this year we are using Hornady Full Boar 50gr gmx. My kids have shot two deer. one dropped in her tracks and sons deer ran about 10yds in a circle. hop to shoot some pigs with it soon.

Comment

Anything will kill with head shots.

For lung/heart shots use Federal Fusions, Winchester Power points or Nosler Partitions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have no idea how much stuff I've killed with a .223. Most of the kills have been with a Winchester Ranger 64 gr. PowerPoint. I've killed hogs, sheep, and axis with that bullet out of my Bushmaster AR. All have been one shot kills in the crease behind the shoulder. Some have run as far as 30 yards, but most have gone straight down. Ranges have been from 63 yards to 186 yards. I've used the 50 gr. Nosler ballistic tip handload out of my CZ 527 one time as well. I had a barbado sheep at the feeder and the distance was 104 yards. Quartering slightly toward me I put the crosshair on the pint of the front shoulder, squeezed off the shot and he just folded up.

I'm about to start working up a load for the 62 gr. Swift Sirocco.

Comment

In all hunting situations, I entrust Winchester Supreme Silvertip

Outstanding performance in all calibers that I use, .223, .243,.270 WSM,.300 WSM

Other than that, I step up to 5.56 and 62 grain MagTech for my AR. I like a heavier bullet in my 5.56. But my hunting rifle is .223 only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Check out the damage in on this dude!

This was from a 55gr Hornady Spire Point

His momma made it a little further. Piglet died from pass through.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X