Fishing rod build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fishing rod build.

Time change has me trapped inside and I get bored easily. I love ultra light fishing and have a 15ish year old uglystick that the handle was loose on. I decided it would be an easy fun fix and ordered a cool new split grip. That handle totally kicked my rear. It comes with a pilot hole drilled through it and I have to size it to fit the rod. I did this with drill bits and round files. Then used gorilla glue without reading the instructions. I didn't add water and on my first trip the handle came loose. I had to rip it off, clean it up and reinstall with epoxy. The end result is a crooked handle but it works.... I lost that fight.

I have a stack of ancient old rods that I can't seem to sell or give away. I planned on trashing them then I got an idea. I chose an old zebco rod that had lousy, sloppy action. I cut the handle off to find it was a solid fiberglass rod. After sanding all the way to steel wool it came out to a shiny white finish. I had stole eyes from another rod and used thread from Wally World to do the wraps. Then clear coated the wraps with epoxy. Handle number 2 came out much better. Shortening the rod and moving the guides around really cleaned up the action. This should make an awesome backpack rod for trout and white bass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also Built a crude but fully adjustable had wrapper that is working really well.

Comment

Originally posted by froghunter View Post
      I also Built a crude but fully adjustable had wrapper that is working really well.

You can use a microwave turn table motor to spin it while drying up!

Comment

I will look into that!

It defiantly needs to rotate while drying. My epoxy job shows that.

Comment

i plan on getting into building my own rods this year. I am tagged looking for any pointers and looking forward to pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by alwaysinshorts View Post
            i plan on getting into building my own rods this year. I am tagged looking for any pointers and looking forward to pictures.
            I'm rebuilding a light bass rod next. Get or build a handle reemer, that will make life much easier if you plan to build more than one rod. Use actual rod building thread for your wraps. Sewing thread is much smaller and a pita to make look good. At least it was for me. The only way to make epoxy look good is to spin the rod at low rpms while it dries.

Comment

I bought a cheap wee Zebco spinner. I thought it was fitting that a zebco reel go back onto this rod. However I didn't like the green. It didn't match the new rod at all. So I removed the green parts, lightly sanded them and painted them black. I'm happy with the results!

Comment

And here is the finished product. I hope to use it this week.

Comment

Pretty cool little projects.

Comment

cool

Comment

Nice work there, like the rod wrapper- much better than using a cardboard box, I built a couple of rods up years ago using the box with a fly tying bobbin to do the wrapping.
                      Really like the fiberglass rod, but I'm pretty partial to the old smooth action of the fiberglass stuff.

Comment

Working...
                      X