6.5 CM neck shooters....how did you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just ordered a 6.5CM. to be honest it does not seem all that different from the 250-3000 I have. Ammo availability is big plus over the 250-3000. Anyways in the other 6.5 CM thread it seemed most replies were heart/lung shots. I would like to see what the neck shooters results were? I plan to hunt with the 6.5CM and play with some LR shooting too.
    Thanks

Drt

Comment

Originally posted by Tye View Post
      Drt
      With almost any .22 Hornet+ caliber.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
        With almost any .22 Hornet+ caliber.
        Exactly. An arrow out of a longbow in the spine results in an instant drop. Maybe not dead, but down right there.

All of these "neck shots" tell NOTHING about the the terminal velocity of a given round.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
          Exactly. An arrow out of a longbow in the spine results in an instant drop. Maybe not dead, but down right there.

All of these "neck shots" tell NOTHING about the the terminal velocity of a given round.

Exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

6.5grendel at...130yds...entered thru front below the jaw exited thru backbone. Instantly dead. Absolutely no meat loss.

Comment

Little hole going into the neck.

Big hole leaving the neck.

Deer DRT.

Comment

How for would you be comfortable taking a neck shot? I typically only take neck shots, just my preference. I just got my Tikka 3 and waiting for the scope to show up. Can you reach out to 500 yrds with a well place shot and have it DRT?

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
                  How for would you be comfortable taking a neck shot? I typically only take neck shots, just my preference. I just got my Tikka 3 and waiting for the scope to show up. Can you reach out to 500 yrds with a well place shot and have it DRT?

Depends on YOUR abilities and confidence.

I have no problem shooting that far with certain rifles of mine but not all. Doesn’t mean I’d do it regularly either. If you are looking to shoot longer distance on animals aim lungs/heart as you margin for error is bigger.

300-500 yards is a chip shot with the right equipment and person.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Here is a cull buck that was shot in the neck with 140gr Hornady SST hand loads. He was facing me and bullet hit neck bone and exited the left side. Hard to see from picture, but the was a 4" hole on the exit. I should had taken better pictures. He dropped in his tracks.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Took a doe at 189 this year with 140gr Noslet BT, the 140 did much better than the 129gr I have shot in the past. She dropped in her tracks but like others said that is pretty characteristic of neck shots.

Make sure you are matching the bullet to the application and youll be good to go

Comment

Doe at about 160, 143gr Hornady just under the ear bout took her head clean off.....wicked nasty

Cull buck at 125......same shot, same results

Comment

You have people that love the 6.5 creedmoor and those that hate it. Myself I’m one that really like the caliber and it’s performance. This was my first year hunting with it and have been impressed with the results. Rather it was a neck shot or a double lung shot everything was DRT. I was using the Hornady 143gr ELD-X

Comment

Originally posted by Wil Taylor View Post
                            You have people that love the 6.5 creedmoor and those that hate it.
                            They hate that it's so popular, given how similar it is to other calibers. But popularity begets popularity, since a major argument for non-hand loaders is ammo availability.

I haven't heard anyone complain that it doesn't perform.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	5E9BA060-B21B-461E-9B83-07250E1BD658.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	24527329

It’s all in shot placement

Comment

Working...
                              X