Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions About Changing Rear-End in 2013 Dodge 1500?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My truck only has the 3.21 rear end. What would be cost and labor associated with changing it to a 3.92?

Better for dealership to do it?

I have 35 inch tires on 17 inch wheels

I am pretty sure that it won't void warranty as long as I do not go bigger than a 3.92.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

3.55 is what I have now...I think

Comment

RANDYS Worldwide is the leading supplier in the United States for differential gears, axles, installation kits, small parts, tools, lockers, limited slips, drivelines, and more.

Comment

500 ish. And I'd get 4.11's at least

Comment

Will it increase my fuel mileage and pep?

I have been reading that I would have to change some 'casing' if you go larger than 3.92s...? Also I have to change front and rear since I am 4x4?

Comment

$500 is about right plus the cost of gears, new seals, and lube. Yes you would need to do both front and rear since you have a 4x4. I'd do 4.10 as that was a factory option I believe. The gears will also help you get some of your lost torque and some mpg. It's not gonna be cheap and that's why most people don't re-gear for bigger tires.

Comment

Yes and yes. That'd be news to me. The gears aren't physically bigger so I don't see why. Issues arise when you get up to 5.13's and bigger in a 1/2 ton because the teeth on the ring gear are so small they become weak. Idk the size of the gears in that axle so maybe it's an issue. Yes you'll need to do both. That a 6 or 8 speed trans?

Comment

If you have a 3.55 right now and are running 35's your ratio is significantly higher due to tire size from stock. Going to a 3.92 may get you back closer to what the truck ran like before the big tires. I personally would go with a 4.10. My tundra has 4.30 gears so I don't have this problem.

Comment

In my f150 i was looking at 1800 for front and rear. I also had 3.55 with 35's

Comment

So roughly $1800-$2000

Comment

2 grand is a ridiculous price. Call around until you get close to 1200.

Comment

I would second the 4.10 range, you'll be much happier since I'm sure you tow a lot. May have issues with the your Limited slip in the rear, may be what they are talking about having to change.

Comment

Are you trying to solve a problem? If so, what?
                          I have a 2014 Ram 1500 4x4 with Hemi, 8 speed trans and 3.92 gears. The factory tires are about 34” OD (20” rims). I’m planning to do a little bit of a lift and slightly larger tires (maybe 34.5 to 35”). I have no intention of changing the gears, and don’t have any reason to think that I would want to. This combination is great for low end and towing, and lots of power. I would think that if you have the 8 speed and 3.55 gears, that should still work fine. The lower gears on the 8 speed are LOW.
                          The taller gears will (likely) not improve your gas mileage, more revs per mile. They will help in low end power, if that’s what you need. And, if you have variable displacement, this will also factor into mileage considerations.
                          Do you know the size of the original tires (OD specifically)? Are you actually having an issue with low end power?

Comment

My truck is a 6 speed with 3.55 I am running 35s on 17 wheels fuel mileage and get up and go is lacking IMO

Comment

What rear end is it?
                              Few shops up here are getting $350 labor plus parts. Should be able to get ring and pinion for $300 for a good set
                              If you go to much bigger like 4:10s you'll probably need to also change the carrier

Comment

Working...
                              X