Keep livestock and hogs out but let turkeys in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep livestock and hogs out but let turkeys in

I hunt my uncle's place in Hallettsville. This year the cattle and donkey's were all over the feeders and ruined one too many sits. There are some hogs running around too, so we're putting up some hog fencing around the feeders to keep them both out. We also have a lot of turkey that hit one feeder in particular, which we do want.

If we put up fencing will turkey still be able to get at the feeder? Will they just hop over the fence?

Thanks

Originally posted by BigLig View Post
    I hunt my uncle's place in Hallettsville. This year the cattle and donkey's were all over the feeders and ruined one too many sits. There are some hogs running around too, so we're putting up some hog fencing around the feeders to keep them both out. We also have a lot of turkey that hit one feeder in particular, which we do want.

If we put up fencing will turkey still be able to get at the feeder? Will they just hop over the fence?

Thanks
    Yeah, they should go over the fence no problem.

Comment

Most of the time if you make the pen big enough the turkey will figure out how to fly over it to get inside to the feeder. I would make sure all the corn stays inside the pen so the livestock will not be a problem. You could pen all the feeders but that one. I will say that in 4+ yrs the turkey on my place have not figured out how to fly over the hog panels on my feed pens, which is a good thing since I do not like corn buzzards.

Comment

Google "turkey table" feeders

Comment

Thanks for the input

Comment

They fly my high fence.....hog panels will not be a challenge for them.

Comment

Unfortunately they will figure it out quickly!

Comment

Yep I believe turkeys can fly

Comment

I've hunted places the turkey's would not go in feed pens and other places they would. The only way your going to know is to put up the feed pen and find out.

Comment

My lease has a bunch of turkey. Lots and lots.
                    Always had 5-6 hog panel pens around the feeders. Never had a turkey inside for 7 years. Cameras on all pens. Enlarged three pens to 10-12 panels this year and now have turkeys hopping in those pens only. FYI I run a single strand along the top of the panel to keep cows out. It works.
                    Hogs At each pen most nights, none inside pens.

Comment

Let me know if you find a fence that turkey won't fly over.

Comment

Working...
                      X